Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, PhilippinesThursday, June 14, 2007
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
CRRA committee reconvened
to tackle BREDCO port issue

Bacolod Mayor Evelio yesterday said the Comprehensive Revised Reclamation Agreement committee was reconvened yesterday to discuss the issue between the Philippine Ports Authority and the Bacolod Real Estate Development Corp.

He said they will discuss the possible effects of the revocation by the PPA of the permit to operate of BREDCO. He said the committee had negotiated with BREDCO before to determine the adjustment of the port rental it should pay to the city annually.

The PPA revoked on June 2 the permit to operate of BREDCO for its failure to explain why it has charged higher tariffs without authority of the PPA. As a result, BREDCO filed an injunction case against PPA Friday and both parties have agreed to a compromise agreement during a hearing on the case Tuesday. Asked if the city will intervene in the case between PPA and BREDCO, Leonardia said they still have to see the compromise agreement between the two parties and if it is something that will affect the city, that is when they will come in.

Leonardia said they have not yet received a copy of the Sangguniang Panlungsod resolution passed Thursday supposedly inquiring from the City Mayor's Office about its plan on the controversy between the PPA and BREDCO, in order to protect the interest of the city.

He said what he has discussed with City Legal Officer Allan Zamora is the latest SP resolution that authorized him to bring to court for judicial determination the reasonable upward adjustment of the port rental.

Leonardia said that they intend to file a case asking the court to determine the reasonable increase in the port rental.

Meanwhile, sought for his opinion, Zamora said it is not for the Mayor to make a stand on the controversy between BREDCO and the PPA. He said it is for the SP to make a policy since the Mayor has no authority on his own to intervene or to file a case without prior authority from the SP. If the SP wants the city to intervene, it should move for the passage of a resolution authorizing the Mayor to intervene on the matter, he added.*CGS

back to top

Web www.visayandailystar.com
Top Stories
Solon files raps vs. 5 for hiking rival's votes
1 of two nabbed rebels released
Complaints aired vs. EB Magalona raids
Pay hikes, bonus ok'd at Capitol
Silay airport inauguration August
Negrense wins in Cannes fest
CRRA committee reconvened to tackle BREDCO port issue
Dengue cases up 49 percent
LFS slams tuition fee hikes
Bing signs Monico's seniors card