Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

Talisay tops Covid cases in NegOcc
BY MARCHEL P. ESPINA

 

Talisay City has the most number of coronavirus cases in Negros Occidental with 297, the provincial government reported yesterday.

Next is Silay City with 282 Covid-19 cases followed by Bago City - 195, Sagay City - 123, Murcia - 104, Cadiz City - 91, Himamaylan City - 89, La Carlota City - 83, Victorias City - 74, Kabankalan City with 71;

EB Magalona - 66, Binalbagan - 54, Valladolid - 50, Hinigaran - 46, Pulupandan - 44, Calatrava - 43, Sipalay City - 37, Escalante City, San Carlos City and Manapla with 38 cases each, Hinobaan, La Castellana and Pontevedra - 34 each, Cauayan - 30, San Enrique - 28, Moises Padilla - 26, Toboso - 19, Isabela - 16, and Ilog with 14.

Candoni and Salvador Benedicto have the least number of cases at five and six, respectively.

Negros Occidental recorded 2,119 Covid-19 cases, so far, with 1,289 active cases, 793 recoveries, and 37 deaths.

Most of the cases in the province came from local transmission with 996, while 535 involved locally stranded individuals, overseas Filipino workers - 195, frontliners - 76, and authorized persons outside residence - 36.

There are also two cases that were tagged in Negros Occidental but came from other provinces.

The Department of Health in Western Visayas also reported yesterday that Bacolod City has 60 new Covid-19 cases and 54 recoveries, while Negros Occidental has 36 new cases and nine recoveries.

MAYOR’S APPEAL

Meanwhile, Mayor Evelio Leonardia yesterday said that, “Once our daily case rate is reduced back to the low double digits, then we can probably relax back into general community quarantine if permitted by the National Inter-Agency Task Force, and reopen public transport in the City.”

“That is the measurable goal we are striving for in this MECQ - to reduce our daily case rate from 3 digits to low double digits, at least. We cannot achieve this with so many people moving around and potentially spreading the virus further,” the mayor said in a press release from the city Public Information Office.

Leonardia also clarified that despite the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine in Bacolod until September 30, there is no total lockdown.

“What we have under MECQ is a slow down, not a lockdown,” he added. “Let us all observe what is required of us during this MECQ because that is the balancing act that will save many lives and our economy,” he appealed.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonNBI Bacolod assists rice investment scam victims
ButtonBCPO probes dog poisoning reports in city
ButtonTalisay tops Covid cases in NegOcc
ButtonMore drivers to benefit from free ride program
ButtonArmy helping set up areas for quarantine
ButtonAirport gets thermal scanner
ButtonBeneficiaries complain of expired relief goods
ButtonDonate blood plasma, Covid survivors urged
Button$280M PRDP add’l financing endorsed
Button15 nabbed for illegal cockfighting