Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Monday, June 22, 2020
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

PUJ operators questioning
social distancing violations
BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO

 

Complaints of non-compliance of the social distancing protocol by some jeepney operators in Bacolod were submitted to the city government for immediate action.

Elizabeth Katalbas, Jesse Ortega, and Eduardo Asis Jr., presidents of Federation of Bacolod City Drivers Associations (FEBACDA), Sentrong Samahan ng Tsuper at Operators Negros Inc. (SSTONE) and NTSBJDOA, respectively, in their letter to Councilor Dindo Ramos said some PUJs load more than 50 percent capacity, a violation of the mandate set by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board and the city government.

Based on their observation for the last two weeks, there had been an obvious disregard of the 50 percent maximum passenger capacity rule. It is apparent that the plastic dividers were installed to accommodate more than the allowed number of passengers, they said.

Generally, PUJs can accommodate a maximum of 18 passengers -- two in front and 16 at the back -- except for some who allow a maximum of 18 passengers at the back, they said.

However, most jeepneys operating in Bacolod City set up a divider that can accommodate 10 passengers at the back, which is in excess of the allowed seating capacity, they added.

Ramos, chairman of the Sangguniang Panlungsod Committee on Transportation and Traffic, they will look into the complaints stressing the importance of complying with the protocols set by the National Inter-Agency Task Force.

He said the Bacolod Traffic Authority Office and Bacolod City Police Office are the chief implementor of the guidelines of the IATF and PUJs that are not compliant with the guidelines will not be allowed to operate.

Ramos said they will first verify the validity of the complaint of the PUJ operators.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonCovid-19 cases hit 68 in Neg. Occ., Bacolod
ButtonLSIs exit ban for Cebu City only – DILG
ButtonNPA owns killing of 3
ButtonPUJ operators questioning social distancing violations
ButtonCoop head: Joint venture on ECJ farms no failure
ButtonTax deadline extended
ButtonP137K in shabu seized
Button5 slain rebels identified
ButtonStudent found dead
Button12 with warrants nabbed
ButtonFormer Reds finish TESDA course
ButtonAllow seniors to buy more medicines, City SP urges

ButtonPrudential Guarantee ranks first