Daily Star logoNegros Oriental



Dumaguete City, Philippines Monday, July 20, 2015
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 

NPA scoffs at
‘surrender ploy' of Army
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

The New People's Army Southeast Front dismissed as a “scripted work of fiction” the claim of the military that four of its active members recently surrendered to the 79 th Infantry Battalion in Negros Oriental.

The former rebels were presented last month by the 302 nd Infantry Brigade and 79IB officials to Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo, who assured them of financial assistance under the Comprehensive Livelihood Integration Program.

Ka Estrella Banag-Banag, spokesperson of the Rachelle Mae Palang Command, said in a statement that the couple presented to Degamo had been decommissioned from active service for almost a year, upon their request, as they were unable to bear the hardship and sacrifice indispensable in the revolutionary struggle.

Banag-banag said “Bara” was a former squad medical officer, and “Jean” once served as squad supply and logistics officer. “While we are appreciative of their past service, it would be an organizational misrepresentation to publicly project them as active and current NPA members,” Ka Estrella said.

RMPC is still verifying the identities and records of the other two alleged NPA members presented to Degamo, the statement said.

Lt. Col. Harold Anthony Pascua, 79IB commander, said the four ex-rebels formed part of the first batch of former NPA members to avail of government services.

Col. Allan Martin, 302 nd IB commander, said the latest surrender is an indication that many members of the rebel movement are now getting tired of the hard life in the mountains.

Ka Estrella cautioned Degamo against releasing funds for what she claimed as fictional active NPA members.*GPB

 

back to top

Negros Oriental
ButtonNanang damage climbs to P55M
Button NPA scoffs at ‘surrender ploy' of Army