Daily Star logoNegros Oriental
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesFriday, January 10, 2014
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
 
ĎArmy fails to destroy
NPA movement in NegOr'
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

The National Democratic Front, through its NDF-Negros spokesperson, Frank Fernandez, said that the 302 nd Infantry Brigade failed to destroy the revolutionary movement in Negros Oriental, prompting the Philippine Army to seek for a six-month extension to clear the province of the New People's Army.

Fernandez said that, contrary to military claims, the NPA in Negros remains strong, although he admitted that 2013 was a challenging year for the revolutionary movement.

Fernandez cited the deadline set by the AFP to weaken, if not destroy the revolutionary movement in Negros island, through its IPSP Bayanihan campaign plan, using the whole-nation approach strategy, that he said, ended as a failure.

The Philippine Army had earlier declared that the dismantling of NPA Southeast Front in Negros Oriental was imminent, with the reduction of its armed strength by almost 75 percent.

Brig. Gen. Francisco Patrimonio, 302 nd Infantry Brigade commander, said earlier that 12 of 17 barangays earlier identified as insurgency-affected, have been neutralized, although this is still subject to validation and confirmation.

Patrimonio said that, having so many rebels return to the folds of the law, with the rest on the run, is an indication that the Army is gaining headway in its mission in Negros Oriental.*GPB

 

back to top

Negros Oriental
Button 83% kids immunized
Button ĎArmy fails to destroy NPA movement in NegOr'
Button
Digital cable TV launched
Button
Bishop gets city citation