Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Thursday, May 14, 2020
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

House approves on 2nd reading
ABS-CBN provisional franchise

 

The House of Representatives yesterday approved on second reading a measure seeking to grant ABS-CBN a provisional franchise valid until October 31, Bacolod Rep. Greg Gasataya said.

During the plenary session, the lower chamber passed through voice voting House Bill No. 6732, which seeks to grant the ABS-CBN Corp. a franchise to construct, install, operate, and maintain radio and television broadcasting stations in the Philippines.

Gasataya said HB 6732 is a measure that will resolve the intent of the media network to continue operating while the House legislative franchise committee continues to extensively look into the 12 bills filed for the renewal of the franchise.

In his sponsorship speech, Deputy Speaker Luis Raymund Villafuerte also said the main rationale of the bill is to enable Congress to have an “impartial, comprehensive, and extensive” hearing to address the issues surrounding the ABS-CBN franchise.

He was pertaining to the network’s issues of taxes, labor conditions, foreign ownership, pay-per-view service, and Philippine Depositary Receipts.

“If we do not extensively hear the issues surrounding this franchise, we will be reneging on our constitutional duty and mandate to ensure a due process that will enable us, members of Congress, to decide freely and objectively whether to approve or deny this franchise,” Villafuerte said.

“We want to grant a temporary provisional franchise until October of this year because this is a contentious bill… We have to hear all sides,” he added.

Earlier in the day, the House Committee of the Whole approved the provisional franchise measure.

Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, who is a principal author of the bill, said the sudden turn-around of the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) from its earlier commitment during a March 10 House hearing to grant ABS-CBN a provisional authority has distracted Congress from focusing on the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.

The NTC issued a cease-and-desist order on May 5 against ABS-CBN to stop the operations of its television and radio stations after the broadcast firm’s legislative franchise expired on May 4.

“This distraction is the reason why we must not allow the betrayal of NTC and the unconstitutional meddling of the Solicitor General in this exclusive power of Congress to go unchallenged,” he said,, referring to the power to grant or cancel any franchise.

“Their actions are not only an upfront to this institution, it also delays the discussion and passage of crucial legislation that our people sorely need,” he added.

He said the grant of a provisional franchise to ABS-CBN would give Congress time to assess with complete impartiality and fairness whether or not the network shall be granted a franchise for another 25 years.

“We cannot, in good conscience, sweep the accusations under the rug and proceed as if nothing happened. As we have always promised, these hearings will be fair, impartial, and above all, thorough,” Cayetano said.

“There will be no rush to judgment. Both the praise for and the charges against the network will be heard and will be put on public record,” he added.*PNA

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonGov’t flip-flops, puts Negros, Bacolod under modified GCQ
ButtonMore OFWs Covid-positive, stranded Negrenses return
ButtonSP moves to protect Bacoleños
Button‘Low-risk area status based on limited data’
ButtonSeacraft, bus firms prepare for 50% passenger reduction
ButtonCIDG probes 10 brgys on SAP
ButtonCops probe gov’t car link to murder of broadcaster
ButtonWanted man killed
ButtonCan churches reopen?
ButtonEB Magalona mayor defends border control
ButtonNPA slams bounty for top leaders
ButtonHouse approves on 2nd reading ABS-CBN provisional franchise

ButtonCoronavirus halts dreams of fresh grads
ButtonSecurity agency owner shot dead in Guihulngan