MERGE Sunday masses at the San Sebastian Cathedral in Bacolod City resumed yesterday with strict physical distancing and other health protocols observed, as in other Catholic and Protestant churches throughout Negros Occidental.* (Andy Alvarez photo)


Withdraw ‘yes’ votes,
Negros solons urged
BY CARLA P. GOMEZ

A campaign has been launched for six Negros Occidental representatives to withdraw their “Yes” votes to the controversial anti-terror bill.

Six members of the House of Representatives from Negros Occidental and two from Negros Oriental voted Yes to the passage of House Bill 6875, or the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020, and only two voted No.

The bill was passed last week in the Lower House with 168 Yes votes. There were 36 others who voted No, 29 abstained, and the votes of 69 were not reflected in the list. moremoremore


Army claims
disinformation campaign on
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

The Army’s 3rd Infantry Division cautioned the public yesterday against a “disinformation campaign” against the anti-terrorism bill being waged by some groups stressing that by name alone, the bill is for “terrorist”, contrary to claims that it targets critics and dissenters of the government.

“We encourage the public not to be swayed by the efforts of the critics through illogical propositions,” Maj. Cenon Pancito, 3ID Public Affairs Office chief, said yesterday, as he urged the people of Western and Central Visayas to read the bill itself “to get a more learned idea”.

While commenting on the bill may be premature pending the enactment, or signing by President Rodrigo Duterte, Pancito said that 3ID soldiers are fully supportive of its passage, as it will give the much needed strong legal backbone to support the criminal justice response against terrorism. moremoremore

 

Top Stories
buttonWithdraw ‘yes’ votes, Negros solons urged
buttonArmy claims disinformation campaign on
button‘Only sweeper flights until June 15’
buttonCop survives ambush
button4 more OFWs in WVisayas Covid positive
buttonBago bridge collapses
buttonCops nab 4 suspected ‘gunrunners’
button2 Bacolod hotels temporarily close
buttonFugitive surrenders
buttonMonitor PUMs, brgy officials told
buttonVan driver stabbed dead
buttonThree wildlife poachers arrested
buttonCity police tracing source of shabu
buttonFour drug suspects caught
buttonNegrense general gets promotion

Business
Sports
buttonGAB backs protocol for boxing
buttonUFC superstar McGregor retires
buttonDurant rules himself out for rest of NBA season
buttonGolf’s Asian Tour eyes September restart

A song for ‘Ole Black George’?
Relationships
Diversionary tactics
Our need for moments of silence

 





Covid-19 leaves 7.3M jobless in PH
BY MARCHEL P. ESPINA

The number of unemployed Filipinos soared to an all-time high of 7.3 million in April this year, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) said.

It added that the country’s unemployment rate rose to 17.7 percent, reflecting the effects of the economic shutdown on the labor market due to the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.

The unemployment rate in January was 5.3 percent, and 5.1 percent in April 2019, the PSA said.