Iloilo province is considering the declaration of a state of calamity following the devastation left by typhoon Ursula on Christmas Day.
In a press conference yesterday, Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. said the matter will be raised at the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) meeting scheduled today.
The typhoon has left damages in agriculture and infrastructure, among others, in the towns of Carles, Balasan, Estancia, San Dionisio, Batad, Concepcion, Ajuy, and Sara in the northern part of the province.
“We will convene the PDDRMC because we need a resolution for a declaration for a state of calamity in the areas affected by Typhoon Ursula. We are looking at the sectors that need assistance depending on the budget level of the province and the level of the infrastructure and agricultural sector to be assisted,” Defensor said.
Based on the partial report of the PDRRM office, a total of 5,921 houses were destroyed, while 3,117 houses were damaged due to the typhoon.
In agriculture, the province has lost an estimated P87 million in rice crops and P72 million in corn crops, based on the data released by the PDRRMO on Monday.
The report states that the province has lost an estimated amount of P521,000 on livestock and swine damages, and P611,000 on poultry.
The number of families and individuals affected will be finalized by the Provincial Social Welfare Office for the province to consider the population to be assisted.
The governor expressed his confidence that the Provincial Board will support the resolution for the declaration of the state of calamity.
Defensor bared the PDRRMC will tackle other calamities, like dengue and the African swine fever.
He said the province can declare a “fire out” on the dengue outbreak declared on July last year, as there were only nine patients in district hospitals and zero new case as of yesterday
The governor said the status of the African swine fever will also be updated during the PDRRMC meeting.
“We will have a status on ASF because, if you remember, we had a three-month banning on the entry of pork and pork by-products from Luzon. This will expire on January 22,” he added.*PNA
back to top