The number of firecracker victims in Negros Occidental, including Bacolod City, showed a reduction by 27.2 percent this New Year celebration, compared to last year’s, the police said yesterday.
Maj. Edison Garcia, Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office spokesman, reported yesterday that there were 26 firecracker injuries, from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1 this year, compared to 36, from Dec. 26, 2018 to Jan. 1, 2019.
Firecracker injuries reported in Hinigaran were 7, La Castellana and Talisay City – 5 each, Cadiz City – 4, two each in Silay City and Moises Padilla, and one in Kabankalan City.
Eleven of the victims werereported as minors.
Lt. Col. Ariel Pico, Bacolod City Police Office spokesperson, reported that there were six firecracker victims within the area of the BCPO.
This is 25 percent lower compared to last year, whenthe BCPO recorded eight victims of firecrackers.
“Kwitis” topped the kind of firecracker that caused injuries to the victims, composed of four minors and two of legal age, Pico said.
Garcia and Pico attributed the zero incident on indiscriminate firing and stray bullets, to the vigilance of Negrenses, who were constantly reminded to refrain from the use of guns, as well as firecrackers, to welcome the New Year.
The traditional sealing ofgun muzzlesto issued service firearms is no longer being practiced by the police during the yuletide season celebration.
In Bacolod, Pico said the celebration of New Year 2020 was generally peaceful, with three road accidents and a robberyrecorded.
Meanwhile, Bacolod Fire Marshal Chief Insp. Publio Ploteña said yesterday that they recorded no fire incidents during the celebration of New Year 2020.*
back to top