Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events


VM calls Ceneco’s attention
on lack of social distancing
BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO & MARCHEL P. ESPINA

 

Bacolod Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran reminded consumers of Central Negros Electric Cooperative yesterday to comply with  the social distancing protocol being implemented by the city to contain and prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

        Numerous consumer-members of Ceneco queued outside the office of the power utility firm to pay their bills without properly observing social distancing.

        Familiaran said he called the attention of the Ceneco president concerning the matter and even appealed to the public to comply the social distancing protocol of the city. Had they not heeded his request he would have asked the police to disperse them, the vice mayor said.

        Roel Venus, division manager and chief of the Ceneco Consumer Services Division, said that ever since, they have been implementing precautionary measures against the spread of COVID-19. But they did not expect many would  be paying their bills yesterday so their attention was called by the vice mayor.

        They have instructed their security personnel not to allow anyone to enter their premises without wearing a face mask. They also require them to sanitize the hands of those entering their building  with alcohol that Ceneco provides, he added.

        Familiaran is reminding the public to always wear face masks, to observe social distancing, and if possible to stay at home to prevent the spread of the disease.

        The Ceneco yesterday clarified that the disconnection of overdue accounts is still suspended amid the enhanced community quarantine imposed by government to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

        Ceneco, in its advisory, stressed that “disconnection will continue to be suspended while Negros Occidental is under the enhanced community quarantine.”

        “We would like to reiterate that Ceneco truly understands its consumers’ plight during this COVID-19 pandemic,” it added.

        Ceneco opened its main office starting yesterday to cater to consumers, who cannot process their payments online and would like to pay their bills.

        “Payment of bills, although voluntary during the ECQ, is strongly encouraged for Ceneco to sustain its operations as well as meet its financial obligations with power suppliers to ensure continuous electricity service,” it said.

        It added that the actual meter reading to record the consumption of consumers, and bill rendering activities will recommence on April 16.

        The April billing will automatically correct the possible under or overbilling in the March reading, which was based on the previous three-month average billing, Ceneco added.

        Meanwhile, Ceneco said the plastic-wrapped bill will be placed in a visible area outside the consumer’s residence for safety reasons.

        “Paying consumers are reminded to follow precautionary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as wearing of masks and observance of physical distancing,” it said in the advisory.

        The Bacolod City Water District had earlier announced that its main office at Galo-San Juan Street will be closed and that it will not accept bill payments.

        Distribution of water bills was also suspended until the ECQ is lifted.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonCapitol sets safeguards as OFWs start returning
ButtonDSWD allots P588M for Bacolod
ButtonVM calls Ceneco’s attention on lack of social distancing
ButtonCops nab student for false info
Button36,526 workers in WV displaced
ButtonNo new Covid cases in Region 6
ButtonTwo probable COVID-19 patients in Bacolod: CHO
ButtonDegamo extending NegOr ECQ
ButtonTeenager kills brother