Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events


DSWD allots P588M for Bacolod
BY
CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO

 

Bacolod Mayor Evelio Leonardia yesterday appealed to the Department of Social Services and Development to honor the original number of 103,658 family-beneficiaries for the government’s social amelioration grant.

    Leonardia made the appeal after local services head Pacita Tero said that the number of beneficiary-families in Bacolod was slashed to 98,143 families.

    The Bacolod mayor protested the reduction and has sought the help of DSWD regional director Evelyn Macapobre on the matter.

"It was made clear to us previously that the quota of 103,658 families excludes those already enjoying their social amelioration grants, such as 4Ps beneficiaries, and those receiving similar grants from the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Labor and Employment,” Leonardia said.

He said the change in the quota means barangay captains "will now have to eliminate" 5,515 families from their lists which were prepared on the basis of the original quota.

"We protest this belated and untimely adjustment in the strongest terms,” Leonardia said as he pointed out that the original quota was "already short of our need" and thousands of families had already been made to believe that they can expect assistance from the national government.

"This is excruciatingly painful to the barangay officials who will have to make this cut and, more so, to those families whose expectations will be crushed," Leonardia said.

He also requested for an immediate written explanation from Macapobre on why the quota was cut without any warning.

    Meanwhile, Bacolod Rep. Greg Gasataya yesterday said that the DSWD regional office has requested all local government units in Western Visayas to submit the list of beneficiaries that were not on target quota for the social amelioration grant.

Gasataya said the reduction in the number of beneficiaries was a miscommunication on the part of the DSWD on the implementation of the grant.

The Bacolod solon said that Macapobre has already informed the DSWD central office of the matter and they are now requesting the LGUs to submit the list of non-4Ps beneficiaries who are qualified to receive the grant.

The DSWD central office will endorse the list to the Department of Finance, Gasataya said.
He was also informed by Macapobre that President Rodrigo Duterte has instructed his economic managers to look for additional funds, Gasataya said.

He added that the DSWD has downloaded to Bacolod the funding requirement for financial assistance for April amounting to P588,858,000 that will benefit about 98,000 beneficiaries.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonCapitol sets safeguards as OFWs start returning
ButtonDSWD allots P588M for Bacolod
ButtonVM calls Ceneco’s attention on lack of social distancing
ButtonCops nab student for false info
Button36,526 workers in WV displaced
ButtonNo new Covid cases in Region 6
ButtonTwo probable COVID-19 patients in Bacolod: CHO
ButtonDegamo extending NegOr ECQ
ButtonTeenager kills brother