lighting
LIGHTING THE SKIES. Talisay City supports “We Light As One” as
a show of gratitude and appreciation for the sacrifices, bravery, and service
of all frontliners in the fight against COVID-19*  Leo Jayme photo


Capitol to help bring home
stranded Negrense OFWs 
BY CARLA P. GOMEZ 

There are 265 Negrense Overseas Filipino Workers, mostly seafarers, and construction workers stranded in various parts of the country wanting to return to Negros Occidental, Provincial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz said yesterday.

    The Enhanced Community Quarantine that prevents air and sea travel to Negros Occidental and Bacolod City to prevent the spread of the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that was supposed to end on April 14,  has been extended to April 30.

    Provincial government records show that of the OFWs, 90 stranded in Cebu City and 84  in Metro Manila  have sought help  to return to Negros Occidental, Diaz said.

    However, the OFWs, some of whom had been on board cruise ships,  said there are more than 200 of them stranded in Metro Manila. moremoremore


Bacolod eyeing chartered flight  
BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO

Bacolod Mayor Evelio Leonardia is requesting Bacolodnons stranded in Manila or Cebu to inform the City Tourism Office of their case so they could be assisted in returning home.

More than 200 Overseas Filipino Workers from Negros Occidental and Bacolod City,  who have completed their 14-day quarantine, are reportedly stranded in Manila and Cebu and are seeking the assistance to  return home.

They said they have sought the assistance of government agencies like the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration but their request have not been acted upon. moremoremore

 

Top Stories
buttonCapitol to help bring home stranded Negrense OFWs
buttonBacolod eyeing chartered flight
buttonBank security tightened as aid released
buttonNo new COVID cases in Negros, Bacolod
buttonChurch leaders laud frontliners, officials say Easter brings hope
buttonThe DAILY STAR turns 38
button80 recover from food poisoning
button13 minors caught swimming
buttonNegros health frontliners abroad hit by COVID-19
buttonCops arrest 2,829 quarantine violators
buttonVM’s security guard  slain in Guihulngan
buttonOverpriced scanners, face masks seized

Business
Sports
buttonMagic Johnson hopefulof NBA season return
buttonMayweather vows to be great trainer
buttonPBA shortens Season 45


The things wrought by prayer
Where art thou hope?
The joy of Easter
Tourism halt on Holy Week
Spain, coronavirus and basic income 

Easter message
BY BISHOP PATRICIO BUZON
Diocese of Bacolod

 





DOLE releases P36.225M
BY MARCHEL P. ESPINA

About P36.225 million was already released by the Department of Labor and Employment as financial assistance for formal sector workers in Western Visayas amid the ongoing enhanced community quarantine.

    As of April 9, the DOLE said 26,185 workers from 1,037 establishments in the region were affected by the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.

    DOLE Region 6, on its Facebook page, said 7,245 workers from 376 establishments were already assisted through its Covid-19 Adjustment Measures Program, a safety net program that offers one-time financial assistance, worth P5,000 each, to displaced workers in the formal sector
.