Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Saturday, November 30, 2019
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

Police faulted for dismissal
of case for slay of broadcaster
BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

 

Police Regional Office 7 regional director, P/Brig. Gen. Val De Leon, said the police is aware that suspects cannot just issue statements that will incriminate them without the presence of counsel, and then use the information in filing a complaint in court.

He said that in the case of Teddy Reyes Salaw, one of the four suspects in the murder of blocktimer Dindo Generoso in Dumaguete City on Nov. 7, he confessed to being the driver of the Strada pickup that was reportedly involved in the ambush, in the absence of counsel.

Responsible quarters, including city councilors who are lawyers, had earlier raised apprehensions about the haste in filing the murder complaint against Salaw, using as evidence text messages between the suspects and the alleged confession of the latter that he was the driver of the vehicle caught on CCTV that day, without his legal counsel, making the arrest illegal.

De Leon said “We all know that and will make some remedial measures.”

He said it’s not the end of the line, the police has additional evidence to prove Salaw’s involvement in the shooting of Generoso.

De Leon said he has instructed Negros Oriental Police provincial director, P/Col. Julian Entoma, to study the additional evidence that will necessitate the refilling of the murder complaint against Salaw.

This developed as the case for illegal gun possession against Salaw could not be filed on inquest without a certification from Camp Crame on whether the .45 caliber pistol confiscated from him has documents. Since the day of the murder up to the present, no certificate has been issued to determine whether such firearm is licensed to Salaw or not, raising suspicion that unseen hands are trying to delay the proceedings.

De Leon said he is not aware of such development, adding that he will communicate with concerned authorities about the delay.

Entoma confirmed De Leon’s directive to continue with the case build-up and to consolidate their efforts to make sure the case will reach the courts, unlike this situation that has not reached first base.

He added that they will consult legal luminaries in every move they will make.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonPolice nab 2 thieves for blaze that killed 6
ButtonFire hits school minutes before drill
ButtonMurder, rape raps filed vs. ‘killer’ aunt
ButtonProsecutor in Garcia twin slay inhibits self
ButtonNeg. Occ. typhoon hit uncertain
ButtonNDF hits sugar liberalization
ButtonTanduay Christmas tree up
ButtonTwo killed, 2 injured
ButtonPolice faulted for dismissal of case for slay of broadcaster
ButtonBacolod plaza renovation underway
ButtonAyala Gallery of Lights on