Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson will lead the signing this afternoon of the Negros Occidental provincial government ordinance permanently banning the entry of pork imports from Luzon and African swine fever-affected areas, to keep the province free from the dreaded virus, Provincial Veterinarian Renante Decena said yesterday.
At the rites set at the Capitol this afternoon, Lacson will also lead the declaration of Negros Occidental as ASF Free based on a SP resolution authored by Board Member Sixto Gunazon Jr., Decena added.
Lacson chairs the Provincial African Swine Fever Task Force that, so far, has seized P2.51-million in pork products from Luzon.
Decena noted that the ASF scare earlier caused a 20 to 30 percent drop in pork consumption. Starting Nov. 15 pork consumption and prices began to improve, he added.
At the declaration of the Negros Occidental as ASF free, he said that lechons and other pork products will be served to prove that they are safe to eat in the province.
Among those expected at this afternoon’s rites are Negros Occidental officials and department heads, hog industry stakeholders, Provincial African Swine Fever Task Force members, and veterinary officers, he said.
Violators of the ordinance will pay fines ranging from P1,000 to P5,000 and face jail time of six months to one year.*
back to top