Negros Oriental Provincial Police Office director, P/Colonel Julian Entoma, yesterday ordered a manhunt for Corporal Roger Rubio, who was positively identified as the gunman in the ambush-slay of broadcaster Dindo Generoso Thursday morning in Dumaguete City.
Rubio is a member of the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company based in Camp Leon Kilat in Tanjay City but detailed in Guihulngan City, in Negros Oriental.
Entoma has also given Rubio until today to voluntarily surrender to his unit and for any police officer to shed light on Generoso’s death.
He was named by Teddy Reyes Salaw, 44, the driver of the Mitsubishi Sterling Silver Strada, as the gunman who disembarked from his vehicle at Rizal Boulevard and transferred to a waiting XRM motorcycle being driven by another suspect, later identified as optionally retired Police Corporal Glenn Corsame, seconds after Generoso’s car, a Hyundai Elantra, passed them at about 7:15 a.m. Thursday.
Closed-circuit television camera footage showed that the motorcycle allegedly driven by Corsame with Rubio as back-rider, tailed Generoso’s car until it reached the intersection in Piapi, where he was shot several times, before proceeding to the west direction. The footage also captured the appearance of the Strada pickup as people started converging around the ill-fated car.
During tactical interrogation, the police learned that Rubio had conversed with Salaw over the phone and told him to be ready with the vehicle because he is arriving early that morning for a mission. Further police investigation showed the Strada is registered in the name of Tomasino Aledro of Blk4, Lot 17 of Azumi Subdivision in Batinguel, Dumaguete, and he is the brother-in-law of Salaw.
Investigators said the suspects were aware of the CCTV cameras installed all over the city, that is why even at the Rizal boulevard area, the driver and the triggerman had their full-face helmets on and used a fake vehicle plate number, FAX 5801, but failed to cover or change the conduction sticker of the unit, “which was the only lead of the police but very material in the apprehension of the culprits.”
The registered plate number of the vehicle is GAM 1959, and verification with the Land Transportation Office showed it was acquired just in August this year, the police said.
First to be arrested was Salaw, who yielded an unlicensed .45 caliber Norinco pistol with 8 live ammunition, but the vehicle was nowhere to be found. During tactical interrogation, Corsame’s name surfaced and he was later nabbed with the helmet used during the ambush, the police said.
Entoma said Rubio should surrender today or he will be marked absent without official leave. He also advised all operating units to proceed with caution in dealing with the suspect because he is armed and dangerous.
Murder charges are being readied against the three, while a separate case for illegal possession of firearms and ammunition will be added to the charge sheet against Salaw.
Entoma added he was ordered by the police regional command to dig deeper if only to unmask the mastermind, if any.
“Part of the investigation is to determine the motive of the retired and active policemen in killing the broadcaster, was it personal to them, was it work-related, or somebody hired them to do the dirty job,” he stressed.
Meanwhile, Lt. Col. Wilfredo Alarcon, Dumaguete City police chief, said they will subject the gun recovered from Salaw to a ballistic test, and match them with the empty shells recovered at the crime scene.
Generoso, 67, a block timer of dyEM 96.7 Bai Radio, was declared dead on arrival at the Silliman University Medical Center, after he was shot several times by one of the motorcycle riding suspects in Brgy. Piapi, Dumaguete.
He was reported to be a hard-hitting radio block timer in Dumaguete, and is the second broadcaster murdered in the city, after Edmund Sestoso in May last year.
PNP officer-in-charge, Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, commended the Police Regional Office 7, the NORPPO, and the Dumaguete City Police Station for their swift action that resulted in the arrest of the two suspects, and the identification of the alleged gunman.
P/Brig. Gen. Val de Leon, PRO 7 director, said Gamboa was elated with the positive development in the case of Generoso.
He assured the family and relatives of the victim that the PNP will bring all the suspects involved in the dastardly act to justice.
“My strict order to our men on the ground is to leave no stone unturned and make it quick,” de Leon said.*
back to top