New People’s Army rebels continued their murderous rampage by killing a member of the Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit Sunday night in Sitio Batong-boang, Brgy. Trinidad, Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, Brig. Gen. Ignacio Madriaga, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander, said yesterday.
The killing of CAFGU member Cerillo Malig-on, 44, was claimed yesterday by the NPA Leonardo Panaligan Command in a statement issued to the media.
Madriaga said five suspected Special Partisan Unit members of the NPA shot Malig-on, while he was preparing food for the birthday celebration of his son, Marlyn, the wife of the victim, told him.
Ka JB Regalado justified the killing of Malig-on, by claiming that he was a legitimate military target, being assigned at the 12th Infantry (Cadre) Battalion of the Philippine Army.
The death of Malig-on came in the wake of the killing of a civilian identified as Johnny Albino on March 14 also in Brgy. Trinidad, Guihulngan City.
Madriaga condemned anew the series of killings perpetrated by NPA rebels in the hinterlands of Guihulngan City, stressing that the victim was off duty and unarmed when he was killed by the communist rebels.
Regalado claimed that Malig-on also engaged in spying activities and was one of those actively involved in the implementation of the Synchronized Enhanced Managing Police Operations (SEMPO) and Oplan Sauron of the combined Armed Forces of the Philippines and National Police Dec. 27 last year that claimed the lives of six civilians.*
back to top