Daily Star logoBusiness



Bacolod City, Philippines Thursday, June 13, 2019
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events
GAWA upbeat on service charge bill
BY MARCHEL P. ESPINA

 

A labor leader in Negros Occidental said he is upbeat after the bicameral conference committee recently ratified the bill that would give hotel and restaurant workers 100 percent of the service tip collected from customers.

Wennie Sancho, secretary-general of the General Alliance of Workers Association, said yesterday that Senate Bill 1299, authored by Senator Joel Villanueva, is already up for President Rodrigo Duterte’s signature.

“After giving quality and efficient services to the customers, waiters and frontline workers of the hotel and restaurant industry are entitled to a big share from the fruit of their labor. It’s only fair that the service charge will be given to the workers because the management is not part of it,” he said.

Under the current Labor Code, 85 percent of the collected service charge is given to the employees while the remaining 15 percent goes to the management.

If the proposal becomes a law, this will really benefit the hotel and restaurant workers, Sancho added.

Villanueva said the measure will create more employment-friendly workplaces, not only for the benefit of the workers but also the employers. He added that customers pay a service charge to commend excellent service, or as an outright goodwill to the service crew.

The bicameral conference committee earlier adopted the Senate version of the bill as its counterpart measure in the House requires the management to give only 90 percent service charge to the workers.*

 

back to top

Business
ButtonCall of PH food processors to allow open importation of sugar opposed
Button893 applicants join Kalayaan job fair
ButtonGAWA upbeat on service charge bill