Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Friday, July 5, 2019
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

Some NegOr evacuees
beginning to return home
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

 

Thirty-nine families affected by the recent clash between Army soldiers and New People’s Army rebels in Brgy. Nalundan, Bindoy, Negros Oriental, have opted to remain at the evacuation center in Brgy. Abis, Mabinay, Negros Oriental, the police reported yesterday.

The internal displaced persons, numbering 177, left their homes on July 2 in Sitio Capipinis, Brgy. Nalundan of the town, following an encounter.

They will remain at the covered court of Brgy. Abis in Mabinay for the next five days, the police said.

However, nine other families who also evacuated Tuesday in Sitio Samac Gamay of the same place, have started to return to their homes, Brig. Gen. Ignacio Madriaga, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander, said yesterday.

The nine families, composed of 37 individuals, have temporarily occupied two classrooms of the Calatagan Elementary School in Bindoy, Negros Oriental, after they fled from their houses on July 2, as a result of the gunbattle that lasted for more than one hour.

Nobody was injured among the government troopers, while the Philippine Army is still verifying if some of the fleeing rebels had been injured or killed in the gunbattle, according to the military,

Pursuing troopers of the 11th Infantry Battalion discovered two abandoned houses in Sitio Kalaging, Brgy. Nalundan, Bindoy and recovered a back pack containing two sweat shirts,a hammock, three cellular phones with SIM cards, a phone charger, 30 ammunition for M-16 and AK 47 assault rifles, assorted medicines, three USB drives, a snipers veil, two improvised flash lights, two solar panels, three cellphone batteries and a motorcycle battery.

Madriaga said they are sustaining the conduct of military operations against the NPA, in coordination with the PNP Regional Mobile Force Battalion 7.

Three suspected NPA rebels were killed in separate encounters in Santa Catalina and Manjuyod, Negros Oriental, in the past two weeks, military records showed.

The 302nd Infantry Brigade is now concentrating its effort on the clearing of southern Negros of armed insurgents, by mobilizing the 11th and 15th Infantry Battalions.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonDengue deaths rising
Button‘Moves to postpone polls won’t stop preparations’
ButtonOne killed, 4 injured in mishaps
ButtonBarangay head dies
ButtonCadiz mayor takes oath before guv
ButtonSome NegOr evacuees beginning to return home
ButtonDrug suspect escapes, councilor in hot water
ButtonPaduano files 12 bills, seeks probe
ButtonClearance processing resumes at NBI
ButtonSP committee name questioned
ButtonDiaz says no legal basis to remove HRMO head
ButtonMulticabs distributed to brgys

ButtonEco-trail has ‘hugot’ lines