MERGE Napolcom Region 6 director Joseph Celis listens to Senior Supt. Francisco Ebreo and three other police commissioned officers formerly assigned at the BCPO, at his office in Iloilo City.*


Stop P1.7B loan
Two Bacolod candidates ask court
BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO

A civil case was filed by two former Bacolod City officials and a contractor before the Regional Trial Court against Bacolod City, represented by Mayor Evelio Leonardia and 16 incumbent city officials and department heads, for what they called the hasty approval of the P1.7 billion loan for priority projects of the city.

The case for certiorari, prohibition and annulment of contract with prayer for temporary restraining order was filed on January 18 by former councilor Jocelle Batapa-Sigue, former vice mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson and contractor Antonio Wong.

Named respondents were the mayor, Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, Councilors Caesar Distrito, Cindy Rojas, Renecito Novero, EmAng, Elmer Sy, Ana Marie Palermo, Dindo Ramos, Bartolome Orola, Sonya Verdeflor, Lady Gles Gonzales-Pallen, and Ayesha Joy Villalfor; moremoremore


36 LGUs in W. Visayas
under tight watch for polls

The Regional Joint Security Control Center (RJSCC) is closely monitoring 36 local government units (LGUs) in Western Visayas that are considered hotspots in varying degrees.

The RJSCC report said that of the 36 LGUs it is closely watching, nine are under the yellow category, 23 categorized as orange, and four under the red category.

Municipalities that fall under the yellow category are those that have a history of election-related violence, orange are those with sightings of armed and rebel groups, and red refers to critical areas, which means that, aside from election-related violence, there are also armed and rebel groups within the municipality. moremoremore

 

Top Stories
buttonStop P1.7B loan
button36 LGUs in W. Visayas under tight watch for polls
buttonExplain drug links, cops told
buttonSyndicates, terrorist using children: PNP
buttonCapitol gets okay for 4th pay hike
button‘Remove illegal campaign materials’
button36 nabbed for gun ban violations
button16 EJK cases in Negros in 2018
buttonCapitol wants work stepped up on new pala-pala food terminal
buttonSagay cop chief returned
buttonQueen of Mercy starts accepting patients
buttonSenate okays 2019 budget
buttonJustice sought for EJK victims

Business
Sports
buttonCeres-Negros drums up support for Feb. 5 match vs. Yangon Utd
buttonBCBC Warriors keep No. 1 spot in duckpin tilt
buttonRose, Towns combine as ‘Wolves edge Suns
buttonSerena prevails over top seed Halep
buttonPatriots to face Rams in Superbowl 53

Trump and his neighbors
About roundabouts
Let’s play with the Sto. Niňo

 




Negros group denounces plan
to liberalize sugar importation
BY MARK L. GARCIA

A group of sugar and mill workers in Negros Occidental yesterday denounced the proposal to deregulate sugar importation in the country, saying it would kill the local industry and cause adverse effects to the workers and their families.

Save Sugar Industry Movement convenor, Wennie Sancho, in a statement yesterday, said that to liberalize the importation of sugar is alarming for the workers as it will cause apprehension to the workers, with its adverse economic impact on their families and continued employment.

Last week, Budget and Management Secretary Benjamin Diokno announced that the government is eyeing to liberalize the importation of sugar to pull down its price and increase the competitiveness of the industry, following the approval of Congress of the rice tariffication bill.