A former barangay captain, reportedly included in the government narco-list and also being investigated for his alleged links to the New People’s Army, gave himself up to the police Wednesday in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, and surrendered high-powered firearms and ammunition, the 302nd Infantry Brigade reported last night.
Capt. Khadaffy Tawantwan, 302nd Infantry Brigade Civil Military Operations officer, disclosed that former Hila-itan barangay chairman Hilarion Macalua III, turned over to the police an AK-47 assault rifle and a .45 caliber pistol with ammunition.
Tawantwan said that Macalua was among the subjects of 96 search warrants served by the police recently in different towns and cities of Negros Oriental, with the help of the 302nd Infantry Brigade.
While Macalua was not arrested during the simultaneous police operations, Tawantwan added that the police recovered three high-powered firearms from his residence, including an M-4 carbine, M-16 rifle, .45 caliber pistol, and ammunition.
The simultaneous police operations claimed the lives of six persons being alleged by the Philippine Army to the NPA assassins, although this was strongly debunked by communist rebels. Twenty-six NPA regular members, Yunit Militia and their accomplices were also arrested, the police said.
Sixty-five guns were recovered by authorities, Tawantwan added.
They are validating the alleged links of Macalua to the revolutionary movement, aside from his alleged involvement in illegal drugs, he added.
Brig. Gen. Ignacio Madriaga, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander, called on Macalua to testify in court against communist rebels who engaged in killing sprees, noting that more than 80 people had been killed by the NPA in Guihulngan alone, on suspicions of being government informants.*
back to top