The possibility that the deliberations on a proposed ordinance pending before the Negros Occidental Sangguniang Panlalawigan calling for disallowing the exploration, establishment, and operation of any coal-fired power plant in the province, may last until the new administration takes over June 30 this year, is no longer remote.
Board Member Manuel Frederick Ko, chairperson of the SP Committee on Energy, yesterday said that it will depend on how committee members fast-track the deliberation of the proposed ordinance.
The joint Energy and Environment committees of the SP will meet Wednesday next week to assess the result of their meeting last month, where representatives of electric cooperatives in the province discussed the sources of the power being distributed in their areas.
The San Miguel Corporation Global Power is planning to install a 300-megawatt CFB (circulating fluidized bed) coal-fired power plant in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental.
With CFB technology for coal-combustion, it is expected that up to 95 percent of pollutants can be absorbed before being emitted to the atmosphere, achieving lower emission of pollutants.
Vice Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson earlier said he will not stand in the way, if the city government of San Carlos would be a “willing host” to a coal-fired power plant in its area.
The four dioceses of Negros have issued a joint statement opposing the establishment of any coal-fired power plant in Negros, in support also of the stand of Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr., Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo, and environmentalist groups.
Ko said they may set a time line for the completion of their deliberations of the proposed ordinance, after hearing the side of those opposing the establishment of coal-fired power plant.
Marañon had endorsed the proposed ordinance to the SP that calls for disallowing the exploration, establishment, and operation of any coal-fired power plant in Negros Occidental.*
back to top