The New People’s Army yesterday claimed responsibility for burning 11 heavy equipment and two generator sets of a Cebu-based mining company in Brgy. Jandalamon, Ayungon, Negros Oriental, on Wednesday morning.
Estimated damage was placed at P120 million, Senior Supt. Raul Tacaca, Negros Oriental provincial police director, said.
Pilipinas Eco-Friendly Mining Corp (PEMC) officials claimed that they had not received any threats or demand letters from the NPA, Brig. Gen. Ignacio Madriaga, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander, said. However, he believes that the burning was triggered by the failure of PEMC to meet the extortion demands of the rebels.
Burned were seven backhoes, two loaders, a grader, bulldozer, and two generator sets, Madriaga said.
The NPA attack came after its unilateral ceasefire ended midnight of January 1.
The rebels also disarmed the firm’s two security guards of their firearms, Madriaga added.
The NPA Mt. Cansermon Command in a statement issued yesterday claimed responsibility for the burning incident.
Ka Dionesio Magbuelas, spokesperson of the Mt. Cansermon Command, said they burned the equipment of PEMC, that has been supplying silica to cement factories in Cebu for 15 years, because it has been destroying the environment in Ayungon.
Magbuelas claimed that the mining operations destroyed about 2,000 hectares of farm and rice fields.
In May last year, the same rebel group claimed responsibility for the burning of heavy equipment owned by a private construction company in Mabinay, Negros Oriental.
Madriaga said that the NPA keeps on hitting high-impact but low-risk targets after it failed to launch tactical offensives against military and police stations and outposts.
The mining site is about 17 kilometers away from the Ayungon town poblacion.*
back to top