Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Friday, February 8, 2019
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

Bacolod measles cases up
BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO

 

The Bacolod City Health Office is monitoring cases of suspected measles in Bacolod City following reports that the highly contagious disease has shown an increasing trend.

CHO records show that there were about 41 reported cases of suspected measles in Bacolod City as of yesterday since January, involving about 19 out of the 61 barangays in the city.

Dr. Grace Tan, head of the CHO Environment Sanitation Division said these are just suspected measles because they are still waiting for the confirmation from the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Manila.

Tan said that compared to the same period last year, Bacolod had zero reported suspected measles.

Barangay health workers have reported that cases of measles in Bacolod have increased because mothers are hesitant to have their children vaccinated because of the Dengvaxia issue.

Bacolod City Health Officer Dr. Carmela Gensoli yesterday said they are pleading with all mothers to have their children vaccinated because the measles vaccine is safe and is given for free.

Gensoli said Dengvaxia is a different type of vaccine, so it should not be compared to other vaccines.

“Please bring your children to the nearest health centers and have them vaccinated for measles to avoid acquiring such disease,” she added.

Barangay Mansilingan has six suspected cases of measles followed Brgy. Taculing with four cases. Other barangays have three or less cases.

Out of the total 263 measles cases recorded by the CHO in Bacolod last year, about 75 were confirmed cases.

The Department of health Center for Health Development 6 has received reports of 166 suspected measles cases with three deaths as of January 26, a press release from DOH-CHD 6 said.

“As declared by Health Secretary Francisco Duque in a press release, there is an outbreak nationwide. And among the top regions is Western Visayas,” Dr. Mary Jane Juanico, CHD 6 medical coordinator for child health program, said.

In 2018, CHD recorded 245 confirmed from out of 1,052 suspected measles cases. Also, there were four suspected deaths, all waiting to be confirmed.

Of the 245 confirmed cases, 94 were from Negros Occidental, 63 from Bacolod City, and 32 from Iloilo Province. The rest came from the Province of Panay.

Last year’s supplemental measles immunization campaign implemented in 25 local governments in the region that also included two highly urbanized cities was only able to reach out to 195,356 children or 58 percent of the total target, which is 339,181.*

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonSave sugar industry call raised in House
Button‘Persona non grata’ tag eyed
ButtonBacolod measles cases up
ButtonRebel-affected brgys 68
ButtonVarious sectors in NegOr back clean midterm polls
ButtonArnaiz 1st nominee of Abante Pilipinas
ButtonPolice join ‘Moment of Prayer’
ButtonBacolod SP ratifies P165M IPM contract
Button3 nabbed in car chase
ButtonArmy election watch up for PAGs, ‘manicurists’
Button‘Enforce no parking policy’