Four children, including a 1-year- old infant, were rescued from a fire that hit a house in Purok Balahaan, Barangay Banilad, Dumaguete City, yesterday morning.
The house that was destroyed was owned by Myrna and Miko Gablinez, who were not around when the fire occurred.
Bureau of Fire Protection fire marshal, Chief Insp. Manasis Bautista, said an explosion was heard from the room where the infant was sleeping, and the nanny immediately went inside despite the thick smoke, to save the child.
He said the fire station received a phone call at 11:34 a.m., and they arrived at the fire scene at 11:42. The fire was placed under control at 11:55 a.m.
Bautista said the fire had already engulfed the property when they arrived because it was made of mixed concrete and light materials.
Initial investigation showed that the air-conditioning unit in the room exploded, and caused the fire. The statement of the house help that the air-conditioning unit in his room exploded, was corroborated by the son of Gabinez.
The fire destroyed about P320,000, aside from the contents of the house like appliances, among others.*
back to top