MERGE WINNERS. Ma. Rita Sol Requieron (center) was crowned Miss San Carlos City 2018, with (from left) Denice Jann Reyes as first runner-up, Freza Jade Jacaban – Miss Pintaflores, Michaela Dolor – Miss Tourism, and Mary Rose Ranile – second runner-up, at the pageant’s coronation night at the San Carlos auditorium on Nov. 2* (Ronnie Baldonado photo)


NUPL denies kidnapping
witness in Sagay shooting
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

The National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) vehemently debunked allegations that they took the survivor-witness in the shooting of nine civilians, from the Department of Social Welfare and Development office in Sagay City, Negros Occidental.

Katherine Panguban, a member of NUPL and lawyer of human rights group Karapatan, was charged with kidnapping and serious illegal detention for allegedly taking custody of the witness in the massacre in Sagay City.

Vic Pedaso, the father of the 14-year-old witness, filed the charges against Panguban, Chief Inspector Robert Mansueto, Sagay police chief, said. moremoremore


NDF tags former rebels
in massacre: PNP
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

The four suspects implicated by the National Democratic Front-Negros as allegedly involved in the Sagay 9 massacre, turned out to be former communist rebels, who got the ire of the New People’s Army for their active involvement in the counterinsurgency operations of the Philippine Army, a police official said yesterday.

NDF-Negros spokesperson, Frank Fernandez, had earlier issued a statement alleging that the four former members of the communist breakaway group, Revolutionary Proletarian Army, he identified as Vito Lutrago, Eduardo Linugon, Rexi Robles, and a certain Rako are the suspects in the murder of nine civilians on Oct. 20 in Hacienda Nene, Brgy. Bulanon, in Sagay, Negros Occidental.

Fernandez claimed that it was based on what he calls “exhaustive investigations” of the NPA Roselyn Pelle Command in northern Negros. moremoremore

 

Top Stories
buttonNUPL denies kidnapping witness in Sagay shooting
buttonNDF tags former rebels in massacre: PNP
button‘Undas’ generally peaceful
buttonCeres matriarch among Outstanding Negrenses
button5th Int’l Rondalla Fest starts
button12 nabbed; guns, shabu recovered
buttonIsabela NHS Junior High wins Tigkalalag dance tilt
buttonSkyway opens in Bacolod
buttonBago to mark 120th Cinco de Noviembre

Business
Sports
buttonTigers, Organic triumph in q’finals
buttonTiu ready to retire from PBA
buttonGinebra eliminates Talk ‘N Text
buttonJames scores 28 points in Lakers win

Not only a boxer now
Negros biodiversity strategy
(Last of two parts)
A world of contradictions
Never give up

 




Negros Occidental adopts
new rice production plan

MANILA - Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol said yesterday that Negros Occidental will be the first province in the country to introduce a rice production strategy that focuses on planting at most three rice varieties.

“The program for Negros Occidental to focus on just three varieties will be the first to be implemented nationwide, where farmers plant just about every known variety," Piñol posted on Facebook.

“The program, which both Gov. Alfredo Marañon and I agreed upon during my recent visit to the province will be called 'Balik Binhi,' where the provincial government will develop a 50-hectare area to produce seeds of three inbred varieties developed by PhilRice -- RC 222, RC 160, and RC 216," he explained.