The military operations against New People’s Army rebels behind the recent series of atrocities, especially in central Negros, are being conducted without any let-up, Army spokesman Capt. Eduardo Precioso yesterday said.
The newly-arrived 94th Infantry Battalion is joining three other Army battalions in the conduct of internal security operations in Negros Island, under the supervision of the 303rd Infantry Brigade.
President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier ordered the cancellation of the resumption of peace talks between the government and communist rebels scheduled on June 28, to allow a more thorough engagement with the public on the issue.
This prompted exiled CPP leader Jose Maria Sison to call for a continuing people’s war against the government.
Because Duterte is obviously not interested in serious peace negotiations, Sison said the revolutionary forces and the people have no choice but to single mindedly wage a people’s war to achieve the national and social liberation of the Filipino people.
While the back channeling talks were ongoing in Europe, the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division reported that communist rebels also stepped up their attacks against civilians and government projects in Negros, by burning heavy equipment among others, for failure of the contractors to comply with their extortion demands.
The 303rd Infantry Brigade condemned the recent killing of a civilian and the attempt to liquidate a newly-elected barangay chairman of a remote barangay in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental.
Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate also expressed his dismay over the delay in the resumption of the stalled talks between the government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines.
“The longer it takes for the talks to restart, the peace spoilers and saboteurs will also have a longer time to sabotage the process,” Zarate said.*GPB
back to top