Eleven fireworks vendors apprehended by the police behind the Pope John Paul Tower at the Reclamation Area in Brgy. 10, Bacolod City, on Dec. 31, 2017 for allegedly selling firecrackers that are prohibited under R.A. 7183 and Executive Order 28, have filed a complaint against the police..
President Rodrigpo Duterte issued E.O. 28 confining the use of firecrackers to community fireworks display, to minimize the risks of injuries and casualties.
The complaint was filed before Police Station 1 against acting Bacolod Police Director Senior Supt. Francisco Ebreo and party for confiscating their fireworks which they claimed had a permit from the Department of Trade and Industry and the city government.
The complaint was filed for record purposes by Allan Pacheco, Jorge Treyes, Lilia Delos Sario, Erlinda Tresmante, Ester Tadia, Ma. Theresa Rubaton, Metchel Vertudes, Jivy Lastimoso, and Josephine Aguilar, all of Bacolod City, and Alonso and Analyn Sumagaysay of Silay City.
In their complaint they claimed that the police confiscated their goods that included 800 rounds and several packs of Katay Five Star, as well as 700 rounds of Five Star Sawa.
Executive assistant Ernesto Pineda, cluster head for sectoral concerns and market, said yesterday that, the vendors, allege that their items had the PS mark or Product Standard mark of the DTI and had passed services testing so they believe these are not illegal, and their powder content has not exceeded the required standard based on R.A. 7183.
Pineda said there appears to be some conflict in the implementation of the law because, based on the DTI, the Five Star firecracker has passed service testing and its powder content did not violate the guidelines.
He said he believes that all stakeholders should meet to discuss the matter. They should have coordination before implementing the law, he said.
Pineda said 72 fireworks vendors had secured permits to sell fireworks and pyrotechnics. However, because of the typhoon and the implementation of E.O. 28 requiring a designated firecracker zone in the barangays, their business suffered.
Meanwhile, a resolution commending the Bacolod City Health Office, Bacolod City Police Office and the Bureau of Fire Protection for the successful implementation of “Iwas Paputok” campaign during the celebration of New Year in Bacolod City, was approved by the Bacolod Sangguniang Panlungsod yesterday.
The resolution authored by Councilor Em Ang said that on Dec. 5, 2017 the Department of Health launched the “Iwas Paputok” program to promote awareness on the hazards of using firecrackers and to achieve zero incidence in the celebration of the holidays.
The City Health Office printed and distributed leaflets, published press releases, and conducted media interviews, informing and reminding residents about regulations on firecrackers and the dangers of possible injuries due to indiscriminate use of the same, it said.
Based on the records of the CHO, the number of firecracker-related injuries in Bacolod City significantly dropped to four cases this year from fifteen recorded cases last year, the resolution said.
It is fitting to give due recognition to the City Health Office for the successful implementation of the program, it added.*CGS
back to top