The Commission on Human Rights will investigate the death of a barangay Lupon Tagapamayapa member Friday last week, who was reportedly killed by members of the police Special Action Force in Brgy. Laga-an, Calatrava, Negros Occidental.
CHR provincial chief Romeo Baldevarona said yesterday that they are still waiting for the family of the victim to file a complaint at their office. But he said that the CHR will initiate an investigation of the incident.
The family of Bolbet Leyte, a member of Barangay Laga-anLuponTagapamayapa, is seeking justice for his death.
Leyte died in what the police reports said was an encounter with SAF troopers and provincial mobile group personnel.
The family of the victim denied allegations that he was connected to the NPA.
Senoir Supt. Rodolfo Castil, provincial police director of Negros Occidental, maintained that it was a legitimate encounter, and that Leyte fired first at the police troopers.
A .38 caliber revolver with three dud bullets,two live ammunition and a flashlight were recovered at the scene with the body of Leyte.
The Leonardo Panaligan Command of the New People's Army issued a statement condemning the incident, stressing that it was another human rights violations perpetrated by the PNP Special Action Force.
The Police Regional Office 6 has encouraged complainants to file a formal complaint against the policemen responsible for the death of Leyte.
“If, indeed, there were lapses on the part of the concerned police personnel, we will not tolerate it,” Supt. Gilbert Gerero, Police Regional Office 6 spokesman, said.* GPB
back to top