The controversy rages on between the Dumaguete City Water District and the Dumaguete Sangguniang Panlungsod over the moves to privatize the operation and management of the 40-year-old water district.
This as another private company presented before the SP, the features of which it claimed as the first proposal.
Ryan Yapkianwee, representing Tubig Pilipinas Group Inc., and Jalil Madueno, program manager of Manila Water Company Inc., appeared before the SP session Wednesday to shed light on their proposal to supply water in bulk.
Yapkianwee said the company had been in Dumaguete since 2014 to explore the possibility of a water bulk contract, but it did not materialize.
The original proposal from them was to get water from the Banica River but the DCWD had a contract with another company back then.
They said Tubig Pilipinas and Manila Water are still interested in supplying water in bulk to the DCWD that will benefit more than 31,000 water consumers.
He said they had talks early last year with the DCWD general manager who told them that the water district is open to their proposal. They came back July 3, 2017 and were promised it will be taken up during the board meeting on July 10, 2017, but this did not happen.
The next promise was for the next BOD on the third week of August 2017, still without results, and only to find out that the water district had already accepted the proposal of Metropac in a board resolution dated July 6, 2017, at a meeting held at the residence of one of the BOD members, and a certification was issued the following day by the BOD chairman.
“We were shocked, because we thought we were supposed to be the first proponent,” Yapkianwee and Madueno said. The SP invited them to shed light on their own proposal, and said they were not privy to the proposal of MWIC.*JG
back to top