“They are celebrating 50 years of trying to destroy our country.”
That was the reaction yesterday of Col. Benedict Arevalo, 303rd Infantry Brigade commander, to the New People’s Army’s planned celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Communist Party of the Philippines on December 26.
The five guerilla fronts of the NPA on Negros Island are all set to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the CPP, Ka Juanito Magbanua, NPA Negros spokesman, said Sunday.
“Are they celebrating the misery that they have caused their country for 50 years?” Arevalo asked.
“There is no reason for them to celebrate, they should be ashamed of themselves for causing misery to the people,” he said.
He also said the NPA has been using holiday ceasefires to their advantage by regrouping and consolidating their forces, before launching terroristic activities.
“But we will not give them that opportunity,” he said.
“My order to the troops, as always, is to attack the NPA before they attack us,” Arevalo said.
Magbanua disclosed earlier that the NPA will observe the yuletide truce, but will remain on defensive mode.
“Stressing that the CPP-NPA-NDF is an organization that has mastered the art of deception and has fooled many,” Arevalo said “We should not take their words as it might just be a ploy to make us put down our guards and give the NPA an opportunity to hit us before or after their anniversary”.
Whether the NPA are in defensive or offensive mode, Arevalo ordered his troops to launch an attack against communist rebels, to ensure that they will not be able to victimize government forces and civilians in celebration of their “50 years of trying to destroy our country”.
Magbanua said that the NPA will resume its tactical offensives against government forces, such as the staging of ambushes, raids and liquidation activities, when opportunities arise.*
back to top