Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, August 7, 2018
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

‘Meningo case unconfirmed’
BY CARLA P. GOMEZ

 

There is no confirmation that a 13-year-old boy from Barangay Sebucawan in Isabela, Negros Occidental, died from the deadly meningococcemia, Isabela Mayor Joselito Malabor said yesterday.

The mayor said the boy died of suspected meningococcemia at the Ignacio L. Arroyo Memorial District Hospital in Isabela on Thursday last week, and was immediately buried as a precautionary measure.

They are still awaiting the laboratory results to find out the actual cause of the death of the boy, he said.

Classmates, teachers and family who came in contact with the boy were subjected to antibiotic prophylaxis, the mayor said.

There have been no other meningococcemia case reported in the town, Malabor said.

Meningococcemia is a bacterial form of meningitis, a serious infection of the thin lining that surrounds the brain and spinal cord, the World Health Organization said.

It is associated with high fatality of up to 50 percent when untreated. Early antibiotic treatment is the most important measure to save lives and reduce complications, WHO said.*CPG

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonNegros cops to use ‘iron hand approach’
ButtonNeg. Occ. dengue deaths 26
ButtonJapanese investors eye Capitol property
Button‘Help save bats from extinction’
ButtonCar dives into drainage hole
ButtonMore guns, drugs seized
ButtonP45M in fire stations to rise
ButtonPolice urge alarm systems
ButtonDumaguete sues DCWD to stop joint venture
ButtonAlonso: Water clears in Pontevedra river
Button‘Meningo case unconfirmed’
ButtonBrgy Taculing kagawad dies

ButtonSK hold convention
ButtonSmall fire hits Plaza Mart third floor