MERGE BEAUTIES. The 27 candidates who will vie for the Lin-ay sang Negros title at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod City on April 20* (Ronnie Baldonado photo)


Councilor killed
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

 

He did not make it this time.

After surviving the ambush staged by the New People’s Army on July 21 last year, Guihulngan City Councilor Paulo Edison Dela Rita was shot and killed yesterday by two motorcycle-riding suspects in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental.

Dela Rita, who was also on a motorcycle, succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds, including  the fatal one in the head, fired by two suspects, who fled on board a motorcycle, initial reports of the Guihulngan police showed.moremoremore


More mayors face SWM raps
BY CHRYSEE G. SAMILLANO

 

The National Solid Waste Management Commission under the Office of the President has filed charges against 50 mayors for violation of R.A. 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000, Crispian Lao, vice chairman of the NSWMC, said yesterday.

Charges will also be filed against 100 other mayors by the Environmental Ombudsman this year also for violation of R.A 9003, Lao said during an interview at the opening of the three-day training-workshop on solid waste management at O Hotel in Bacolod City yesterday.

Lao said they are serious in filing charges against erring local chief executives and will continue to file raps against those who violate the law.moremoremore

 

Top Stories
buttonCouncilor killed
buttonMore mayors face SWM raps
buttonFormer Silay officials plead not guilty before Sandigan
buttonPDEA nabs professor, two others

buttonGuidelines for May 14 bets out
buttonDivorce bill opposed
buttonGuv: Capitol acting on PhilHealth claims
buttonNFSW slams Army
buttonGuns, ammo seized in Pamplona
buttonNeg. Or. peaceful during Holy Week
buttonBaby rescued

Business
Sports
buttonNegros athletes compete in Thailand SEA Youth Athletics Championships
buttonPFF names members of Philippine team competing in AFC Women’s Asian Cup
buttonBoxing group eyes new gym for promising Negrense pugs
buttonSix teams in PFL to vie for Cup title this season

Other OFW tales
The real anti-aging
Yemeni Missiles: SSDD
April Fools

 




Palace seeks ‘more detailed’
proposal on Boracay closure

MANILA - Malacañang yesterday said it had already received the recommendation on the six-month Boracay closure from the inter-agency group tasked to come up with the blueprint, however, it noted that it was too “short”.

“We received the recommendation, a short letter with the very short content from the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources, Department of Interior and Local Government as well and Department of Tourism recommending that closure of Boracay starts on April 26 and, of course, six months thereafter,” Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said in a Palace briefing.

Guevarra, however, said that the Office of the President, through the Executive Secretary’s office, has requested the three agencies to submit “a more detailed memo on the justification”.