Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Monday, April 2, 2018
Front Page
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

NPA killings slammed
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

 

The Army's 303rd Infantry Brigade has confirmed several killings perpetrated by the New People's Army in Negros Island, as it marked its 49th founding anniversary on March 29.

The NPA claimed responsibility for the killing of four civilians they accused of being military informants and burning of farm equipment in Himamaylan City, Moises Padilla in Negros Occidental, and Guihulngan City, Canlaon City, in Negros Oriental, last month.

On Good Friday, four armed suspects claiming to be NPA members shot and injured a member of the Barangay Peacekeeping Action Team in Brgy. Odiong, Moises Padilla, Negros Occidental.

The victim, identified as Dave Vallente,44, was hit in the left thigh. Despite his injury, Vallente managed to fire back at his assailants, who later fled.

While retreating from the scene of incident, the four suspects shouted that they were NPA members, the Moises Padilla police investigation showed.

Vallente, who survived the attempt on his life, is now being treated for his injury at the Isabela District Hospital.

Targeting civilians they accused of having links with the military, Capt. Ruel Llanes, 303rd Infantry Brigade spokesperson, said that the admission of the NPA of the numerous killings is a manifestation that their policy is killing innocent people.

Llanes slammed human rights group Karapatan for their silence in the atrocities of the NPA, who even claimed responsibility for the crimes.

Since 2010 up to last month, Llanes reported that 46 murder cases in Negros were perpetrated by the NPA.

Llanes also challenged Karapatan and its allied organizations to also investigate killings perpetrated and claimed by the NPA.

Brig. Gen. Eliezer Losanes, 303rd Infantry Brigade commanding general, called on local chief executives and barangay officials in Negros to condemn the terrorist acts committed by the CPP-NPA.

The New People's Army in Negros also maintains and manages communal farms, which is also among their sources of income, Llanes said, citing revelations of their alleged source within the Komiteng Rehiyonal-Negros.

Quoting a highly-placed military source within KR-Negros, Llanes claimed that the so-called "Land Cultivation Areas" is a version of the CPP-NPA agrarian revolution.

But the military source lamented that 80 percent of the total income goes to the CPP-NPA hierarchy with the remaining 20 percent shared by the different guerilla fronts, he further claimed.

Llanes also said that land-grabbed communal farms are being managed by people's organizations connected with the NPA. What is alarming, he added, is that these communal farms reach hundreds of hectares.

He also called on victims of land-grabbing by the CPP-NPA to come out into open and file appropriate charges in court.*GPB

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonAbout P231.9M in claims denied at 11 Neg. Occ. hospitals: PhilHealth
Button‘Destroy all HFCS’
ButtonA bloody Holy Week
ButtonNPA claims victory on anniversary
ButtonEaster brings hope in dark times: Bishop
ButtonNPA killings slammed
ButtonMaltreated OFW returns from Saudi
ButtonKin of drug leader nabbed, P250,000 in shabu seized
ButtonIconic host honored
ButtonRehab center to rise in Alijis
ButtonAnti-divorce service set