VICE GUV Negros Occidental Reps. Juliet Ferrer, Mercedes Alvarez and Melecio Yap (l-r, seated),SAP spokesman Emilio Yulo, Bacolod Rep. Greg Gasataya and AbangLingkod Rep. Stephen Paduano (l-r, standing) in a huddle before the House committee hearing on importation and use of HFCS started in Quezon City, yesterday.*


SAP gains partial victory
AS COKE WITHDRAWS SO3 CASE, YULO SAYS
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

MANILA -  The Sugar Alliance of the Philippines yesterday achieved a partial victory in the fight against the importation and use of high-fructose corn syrup, as the counsel of  Coca-Cola FEMSA  announced the withdrawal of their main case against Sugar Regulatory Administrator   Anna Rosario Paner, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol and Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon .

Mark Cox, counsel of Coca-Cola FEMSA, said yesterday that the copy of the withdrawal of the case was on its way to the SRA.

This came after a complaint was filed against officials of Coca-Cola FEMSA for  “outright smuggling” of P70.1 million worth of HFCS before the Bureau of Customs by the Sugar Anti-Smuggling Organization. moremoremore

NT officials set
to arrive June 15-17
BY CARLA GOMEZ

Officials from the Northern Territory of Australia are arriving in Negros Occidental in June to explain how Negrenses can study in their country and eventually work there, Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. said yesterday.

Marañon, who led a Negros trade mission to the Northern Territory last week, said the NT education and training officials will be in Negros Occidental June 15 to 17.

Filipinos have to study and be trained in the Northern Territory in order to work there, the governor said. moremoremore

 

Top Stories
button SAP gains partial victory
button NT officials set to arrive June 15-17
button Army activates battalion for south
button Teen pregnancies drop

button Balangays dock at Bredco port

Negros Oriental
button Brigada focuses on school safety, disaster readiness
button Dumaguete jail guard intercepts ‘shabu' from visitor

button PHCCI family medical insurance launched
button Duterte open to South China Sea deals

Business
button MBCCI, Capitol to improve Negros cattle, buffalo stock
button ‘P4.6M micro enterprises to help energize economy'
button Ceneco sets transparency meet Thursday
button First startup company to exit TBIC

Sports
button Orola, Arguelles rule individual events in 1st Fr. Mao Table Tennis Tournament
button Top Ace foils Karmex Gold bid for ABC-LEADS Agri Cup crown
button Capitol releases cash incentives to Negros Occ. Palaro medalists
button Class '78 wins DLNHS Fellowship Bowling title


They want to learn English
A certain
immunization needed
Reconcilable

 

Brigada focuses on school
safety, disaster readiness
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

An official of the Department of Education in the Dumaguete City Division of Schools yesterday highlighted the need to further encourage parents and other stakeholders to participate in the Brigada Eskwela 2017, which puts emphasis this year on safety and disaster preparedness in schools.

The Brigada Eskwela 2017 runs from May 15 to 20 in all public elementary and high schools across the country.

Nelson Caday, head of the Schools Governance and Operations Division of the DepEd Dumaguete Division, pointed out during a Kapihan sa PIA forum in the city that the Brigada is a collaborative effort of teachers, parents and the community for the benefit of the children. .