police Chief Supt Edmund Gonzales (right),NIR police director, inspects the security preparedness of the Calatrava Police Station, in the wake of a rebel raid on a police station in Maasin, Iloilo.*


Attacks scare
‘hoax' but vigilance urged
Anti-terrorism task force convened
BY CARLA GOMEZ

Army and police officials yesterday said an alleged warning of attacks from the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency on key cities nationwide by Islamist terrorists on June 30 is a hoax, but said they are not letting their guard down and are continuing to strengthen security measures.

The alleged NICA warning circulating on social media networks and through text messages, also alleges that some of the terrorists were monitored in Negros and Guimaras.

Maj. Gen. Jon Aying, 3 rd Infantry Division commander, and Senior Supt. Rodolfo Castil, Negros Occidental OIC police director, both denied receiving such intelligence report.
moremoremore

Coast Guard ups
vessel nspection
BY SHIELA GELERA

The Philippine Coast Guard-Bacolod Station is strengthening its intelligence information gathering and inspection of sea vessels coming in and out of Bacolod and Negros Occidental.

Lt. Commander Jimmy Oliver Vingno, PCG-Bacolod head, said their unit and other law enforcement agencies in the province,are ready to secure the ports so lawless elements and members of terrorist groups can not enter.

Vingno said they are also closely-coordinating with the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police to combat these terror threats. moremoremore

 

Top Stories
button Attacks scare ‘hoax' but vigilance urged
button Coast Guard ups vessel nspection
button Alvarez assures cityof master plan fund
button 3 killed, 2 injured in mishaps

button 19 festival queens vie for Mutya ng Pilipinas NIR
button Bacolod beefing up brgy watch
button 4 Dapitan fishermen released

Negros Oriental
button Dismissal of case sought vs. Russian in turtle's slay
button NPA hitmen kill ex-Army soldier
button 3rd ID ADC for reservists, retirees named

button Sibulan info kiosk launching June 29
button NFA dispels news about fake rice

Business
button 6 Negros firms given P12M in equipment
button Pilot farm biz school launched
button Lack of laborers delays rice production

Sports
button Early exit for Ceres-Negros in Singapore Cup
button Palaro standouts banner PHL in 9th ASEAN Schools Game
button Talisay, EB Magalona frontrunners in Albee Cup Inter-LGU tournament
button Tabuena leads top local golfers as ICTSI Forest Hills event starts


Advertise | Archives
Threatening the STAR
Varadkar and Bernabic
Loving our work
SJI coup? - 3

 

Dismissal of case sought
vs. Russian in turtle's slay
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

The counsel of a Russian national accused of killing an endangered sea turtle inside a marine sanctuary in Dauin, Negros Oriental last month, filed a motion yesterday to dismiss the case.

Joel Obar, counsel for accused Anton Likharev of Vladivostok, Russia, filed the motion to dismiss, saying “the law provides for an administrative procedure” under Section 130 of Republic 8550 as amended by Republic Act 10654 or the Fisheries Code of the Philippines.

“Before you go to court, there is a principle of exhaustion of administrative remedies before the courts will take jurisdiction,” he said.