Police commanders have been reminded anew to verify first any reported incident, before taking action.
This was the guideline of Senior Supt. Rodolfo Castil, provincial police director of Negros Occidental, to all police chiefs and mobile force commanders, in the wake of theseries of attacks by the New People's Army, with policemen as targets, nationwide.
Chief Inspector Gary Alan Resuma, Cauayan police chief, yesterday said that Castil also reiterated his order of beefing up the defenses of every police station in Negros Occidental.
Four policemen were injured when suspected communist rebels attacked a police station in Misamis Oriental, yesterday following an ambush of a police convoy on Saturday that claimed the life of a policeman and caused injuries to seven others.
Resuma also said that he has already coordinated with town barangay captains, in terms of reporting crime incidents that may take place in their areas, before they take any action..
Last month, five policemen survived an ambush staged by about 30 NPA rebels in Cauayan, Negros Occidental. But two foreigners and their Filipino driver were injured.
Resumasaid their alert status has not been lifted after the ambush in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, that also claimed the lives of six policemen, in previous months.
He added they are now finalizing the filing of charges against the communist rebels behind the ambush, as they are now validating the identities of the suspects, in coordination with the Philippine Army.
The escalation of rebel attacks came after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the cancellation of peace talks with the CPP-NPA.
Infantry units of the 303rd Infantry Brigade in Negros Island also intensified its combat operations, in order to prevent the NPA from committing more atrocities, after it claimed responsibility for the destruction of a heavy equipment at a quarry site in Kabankalan City.* GPB
back to top