Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 


Guv unsurprised
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

Negros Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. appears not to be surprised by the admission of the New People's Army rebels that they were behind the ambush of six policemen and a civilian in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental July 21.

One of the six slain policemen was Supt. Arnel Arpon, police chief of Guihulngan City, and a resident of Hinobaan, Negros Occidental.

Even if they will not admit it, we knew that they were the ones who did it. It was very clear to the people that they did it, Marañon said.

Maj. Gen. Jon Aying, 3 rd Infantry Division commander, also said there's no other group or individuals who would do such atrocity, only the NPA rebels.

The ambush of the six policemen, who were responding to the call of duty, and a civilian, elicited condemnation from all sectors of society.

The Leonardo Panaligan Command of the NPA in central Negros claimed responsibility for the ambush of the Guihulngan policemen. They also took six M16 rifles, three M4 rifles, seven 9mm pistols, a 45 caliber pistol, and more than 1,000 rounds of assorted ammunition.

Angered by the ambush incident, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered an aggressive military operation against the NPA in the Negros Island Region.

On Sunday, suspected rebels also torched two heavy equipment of a construction firm in Siaton, Negros Oriental, military records showed.

Marañon also criticized CPP founding chairman Jose Maria Sison for enjoying a luxurious lifestyle in The Netherlands, while their fighters are suffering from hunger, and always on the run, as they are being chased by government troops.

Joseph Celis, Napolcom NIR regional director, yesterday said that Napolcom will also give financial assistance to the families of the slain policemen.

It was very clear that they were ambushed in the line of duty, Celis said.

He recalled that the Napolcom gave P10,000 each and plaques of appreciation to the two policemen, who also died in an ambush in Candoni, Negros Occidental, in February last year.*GPB

 

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
Button Rebels own up ambush
Button Chinese businessmen looking for investment opportunities
Button 2 cops with murder raps required to render duty
Button Napolcom to take action vs. police linked to drugs
Button Rerouting Aug. 7-21
Button MR mulled on Carbon reinstatement