The Leonardo Panaligan Command-New People's Army Central Negros owned up to the ambush of policemen in Barangay Magsaysay, Guihulngan City in Negros Oriental, on July 21.
JB Regalado, spokesperson of LPC-NPA, in a statement sent to the media yesterday, said that their tactical offense against the Guihulngan Police Station's personnel was a success.
The statement said it had been a long demand of the residents to punish the police officers of the Guihulngan Police Station for the many cases they committed against them, that have not yet attained justice.
The rebels claimed that the crimes that the Guihulngan Police Station personnel committed include illegal arrests without a warrant, tortures, and the killings of several residents.
The police also allegedly received money from individuals who want to have someone killed, protect the drug lords and pushers, and the thieves operating in Guihulngan, among others, it added.
Regalado said the Guihulngan policemen hurriedly responded to the reported ambush of Councilor Edison dela Rita, when not one of them had responded when dela Rita had committed a crime against the residents.
The rebels claimed that the exchange of gunfire between the NPA and the police lasted for 30 minutes.
The NPA reportedly seized six M16 assault rifles, three M4 assault rifles, seven 9mm caliber pistol, a .45 caliber pistol, nine bandoliers, magazines, about 1,000 rounds of ammunition, and four cellular phones, but they denied getting the money and watches of the policemen.
Killed in the ambush were Supt. Arnel Arpon, SPO2 Necasio Tabilon, SPO1 Jesael Ancheta, PO3 Teovic Agosto, PO2 Alvin Paul Bulandres, and PO2 Alfredo Dunque.
Meanwhile, the prayer rally and candle-lighting for the victims of the Guihulngan ambush at the Bacolod City Police Office grounds have been moved to August 8, instead of tomorrow.*SGG
back to top