Persons spreading false information about bombing or any form of terror attacks are being warned to stop as they could face charges, Senior Supt. Flynn Dongbo, Bacolod City Police Office acting city director, said yesterday.
After the Davao bombing last week, information has been circulated in the internet and through text messaging about the launching of terror attacks in several cities, including Bacolod.
This information has been dismissed by the Negros Island Region police and the BCPO, calling out unverified and unconfirmed, based on their intelligence reports.
The police force has been placed on full alert status and policemen are not lowering their guard for any eventuality, Dongbo said.
Security is up at all places of convergence such as malls, plazas, parks, terminals, and ports, among others. In Bacolod intensified checkpoints have been conducted since President Rodrigo Duterte placed the country under a state of emergency on account of lawless violence.
Earlier Dongbo had urged the public to be vigilant at all times, especially at public places, and to report immediately any suspicious objects or individuals to the police.
Meanwhile, a bomb scare halted classes at a school at Lacson Street in Bacolod City, at past 3 p.m. Thursday, Chief Insp. Benedicto Villarias, said yesterday.
The K-9 unit of the Philippine Coast Guard and the BCPO Explosive Ordnance Division bomb expert checked the building and later declared it negative for bombs and explosives, Benedicto said.
He said the registrar of the school received text messages about the bomb threat twice and the students were ordered to leave so bomb personnel could look into the place.*SGG
back to top