Classes in Handumanan Elementary School 1 resumed yesterday after a food and water borne disease outbreak hospitalized around 140 individuals last week.
School canteen and ambulant vendors were not allowed to sell food inside and outside the school as directed by the school principal and barangay council.
The barangay council also advised the parents to let the pupils bring their own water and food to avoid the same incident that happened Oct. 14, where the victims were confined in public and private hospitals in Bacolod City due to stomachache, vomiting and loose bowel movement.
The outbreak was already contained last weekend after an emergency meeting headed by Mayor Evelio Leonardia, City Health Office, DepEd Division of Bacolod, Department of Health-6, CLMMRH and the city government officials.
Division Schools Superintendent of Bacolod Cynthia Demavivas also said that the school canteen will not be operational until Nov. 2.
She added that the canteen and ambulant vendors of all the schools in the city will attend a Food Handling Training to prevent such incidents from happening again.
The superintendent also said the CHO will not release health cards to vendors who fail to attend the training and will not allow them to sell food in and out the school premises.
A seminar on food safety in all 46 elementary and 22 secondary public schools in Bacolod will start next week, in time for the semestral break.*MLG
back to top