Officials of the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital in Bacolod City are asking the city and provincial government to do their share to help decongest the hospital whose patients have exceeded its total bed capacity.
Dr. Julius Drilon, CLMMRH chief, yesterday said they are carefully assessing the patients to determine who can be admitted because if the hospital becomes overloaded, the quality of service and its resources could be affected, aside from the possible increase of infection rate, which could be detrimental to the patients.
Dr. Marlon Tabligan, Chief of Medical Professional Staff, said CLMMRH has a 400-bed capacity. Their funds from Department of Health are only enough for 400 beds, staff, and infrastructure.
Today they have 700 patients so they have to make adjustments every day, he said, adding that these include the influx of patients from Handumanan Saturday.
Tabligan said that because of the health facility enhancement program of the government, the Pedia department was demolished so their present official capacity is 86 beds. However, there are about 265 children presently admitted.
Dr. Mary Johnson Cabaluna, Emergency Department training officer, said they have at present 63 patients out of the more than 100 from Handumanan who were admitted for acute gastroenteritis with moderate to severe dehydration. The 63 are in stable condition.
There are 23 who need monitoring and are in the Gastroenterology Ward and one in ICU and some in the Emergency Room, she said.
Cabaluna said they have requested the DOH to send all their samples to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine for further verification. She said six of the patients tested positive for vibrio cholera infection.
Also admitted last week was a 3-month old baby from Banago who was bottle fed by his mother, she said.
Drilon said he relayed to Mayor Evelio Leonardia Monday their findings and impression and gave him some advice pertaining to this kind of outbreak. They emphasized the sanitation issues surrounding the affected areas, he said.
Drilon they have almost 300 to 500 out patients a day and the ER has almost 300 a day, so their resources have thinned out and they are walking on a tight rope to accommodate all. They want to strengthen preventive care in line with the agenda of President Duterte.
From January to September their total inpatient was 28,793 and 43 percent of them or 12,082 are from Bacolod. About 112,000 of the 200,000 outpatients are also from Bacolod, he said.
Drilon said he is constantly communicating with the Mayor and City Administrator on how to reduce their out-patients. If there is strong preventive care this won't progress to more severe cases.
There are 11 district hospitals in the province and 29 health centers in the city that have to be strengthened since the city has no hospital of its own, he said.
They just hired 45 nurses and 12 medical technologists and other personnel for support service, he added.
Last year their total patients were 187,000, Drilon said.
Tabligan said they have extended the accommodation of out patients to 10 p.m. to decongest the emergency room which is now occupied by pedia.
They wrote the city and provincial government of the situation so they can advise their barangay health centers to help them, he said.
Chief Nurse Marybeth Marcial said they have 265 plantilla nurses and to augment staff in nursing they have 361 job order nurses. Some nurses have to render double shifts to respond to the crisis situation.
Meanwhile, Drilon said the cases of dengue have started to decrease. Out of the 1,100 cases from January to September, Bacolod had 488 cases or 44. 36 percent.*CGS
back to top