Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, May 24, 2016
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 


Guv calls for full
alert vs. rebel attacks
BY CARLA GOMEZ

Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. yesterday called on the Army and police not to be “over confident” and to stay on alert at all times to prevent a repeat of recent New People' Army attacks that have, so far caused the death of three soldiers and two farmers in Negros Occidental.

The governor said the NPA have been staging attacks, not only in Negros but all over the Philippines, citing Samar and Davao. They appear to have an agenda for these activities, which the military and police intelligence community will have to figure out, he said.

We condemn these killings, and call on the rebels to put an end to this, and opt for dialog to resolve their concerns, Marañon said.

“We have called on them to come down so their lives can improve, their children can go to school, and they can be given livelihoods,” he pointed out.

A week after the ambush-slay of three Army soldiers in Toboso, suspected New People's Army rebels struck again Sunday, by attacking the bunk houses of agrarian reform beneficiaries in Sitio Buntod Aliwanay, Brgy. General Luna in Sagay.

Chief Inspector Eduardo Corpuz, Sagay City police chief, identified those agrarian reform beneficiaries killed in the rebel attack Sunday in Sagay City as Dionesio Ebañez, 44, and Jose Pios,51, members of the Aliwanay Farm Workers Association Beneficiaries under the Tupaz Foundation.

Senior Supt. William Señoron, Negros Occidental police director, said they have so far identified three suspects in the attack on the bunk houses of the agrarian reform beneficiaries, and are in the process of identifying the rest so that charges can be filed against them.

Señoron said he agrees with the governor on the need for the police not to be over confident and to be on alert against rebels attacks.

The police and military will review their operational strategy for better coordination, he said.

Marañon said there appeared to be a conflict among CARP beneficiaries in Sitio Buntod Aliwanay, Brgy. General Luna in Sagay.

But he said it is hard to prove that a private army was the target of the rebel attack in the area.*CPG

 

 

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
Button Monico, Vladi file election protests
Button Guv calls for full alert vs. rebel attacks
Button Stop killings, peace group urges
Button Marcos cites Kabankalan SD cards, too
Button Capitol employee in mishap faces administrative probe
Button SNDH to resume operations
Button 100 still remain on drug watchlist