Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Thursday, July 28, 2016
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 


SP okays P60M for city garbage

          An ordinance appropriating  P60 million for environmental and sanitary services of Bacolod City from September 2 to December 31, was unanimously passed by the Bacolod Sangguniang Panlungsod on first, second, third and final reading yesterday.

          Acting Bacolod Mayor El Cid Familiaran requested the SP on Tuesday for the passage of the appropriation ordinance as Mayor Evelio Leonardia was away on  official business.

           The fund to be used for garbage hauling and collection under a new contractor will be sourced from the underestimated income for 2016 local taxes based on the certification issued by City Treasurer Giovanni Balalilhe.

          Familiaran was designated by Leonardia as officer-in-charge from July 21 to 27, while Councilor Cano Tan was designated as acting Vice Mayor.

          The P60 million will be used for garbage hauling and collection covering the period September 2 to December 31, Familiaran said.

          This will only cost the city about P15 million a month compared to the current contract where the city spends about P25 million to P30 million a month for garbage collection, he said.

          Familiaran said this will involve a new bidding for garbage hauling and collection since the city can no longer extend the services of Dynamic Builders and Construction Co. after  having extended its services twice already.

          He said the city has appropriated in its 2016 annual budget about P170 million supposedly for the collection and hauling of garbage for one year. Unfortunately, the budget was already used up in just six months from January to June. So they passed a supplemental budget for July to August, he said.

           Councilor Caesar Distrito pointed out that the city had spent almost P230 million for payment to the garbage contractor covering eight months after the contract of the Dynamic Builders was extended.

          Meanwhile, Department of Public Services head Nelson Sedillo said the Solid Waste Management Board convened last week and approved resolutions requesting the Bids and Awards Committee to conduct bidding for garbage collection, as the extended contract of Dynamic Builders with the city government will expire on Sept. 2.

          The board also approved a resolution creating the Technical Working Group that will come up with the terms of reference for the contract with the new garbage collector, he said.     

          Sedillo, a member of the SWMB, said that the city must start the bidding process for garbage collection since the law will no longer allow the existing contractor another extension after its contract with the city ends on Sept. 2.

          Before the city extended the contract of Dynamic Builders from July 2  to Sept. 2, its contract had already been extended for six months covering January 2 up to July 1,  he said.

          Sedillo said that with the re-organization of the SWMB, changes could be made in the terms of reference in which the city pays the contractor based on the volume of garbage collected per cubic meter.

          He said the city pays  Dynamic Builders about P30 million a month for garbage collection, hauling and maintenance, compared to previous the contractors, Metrowaste Solidwatse Management and Enviroking which were paid a fixed amount of P9 million a month for garbage collection and hauling only.

          BAC chairman and City Agriculturist Goldwyn Nifras said they can only start the biding process once there is already a purchase request.*CGS

 

         

 

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonDuterte’s help sought on slashed NIR funds
Button Police kill 4 drug suspects
ButtonKagawad shot dead by robber
Button AT CAPITOL: P123M budget ok’d
Button‘BAC has explaining to do’
ButtonSP okays P60M for city garbage