Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Saturday, July 16, 2016
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 


IN SAN ENRIQUE
Cash reward offered
for arrest of pushers
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

The days of defiant drug pushers in San Enrique, Negros Occidental, are numbered.

This is because its municipal government is offering cash rewards to surrendered drug pushers and users, who will report the peddling activities of those who continue to defy the Oplan Tokhang campaign of the Philippine National Police.

San Enrique Mayor Jilson Tubillara said yesterday that he is determined to rid San Enrique of drug peddlers.

The award system will encourage the surrendered drug pushers and users to report the illegal activities of those they had transacted before in illegal business, he said.

A total of 218 drug pushers and users in San Enrique yesterday surfaced and pledged to stop their illegal activities before Mayor Tubillara, in the presence of Senior Supt. William Señoron, provincial police director of Negros Occidental and Senior Inspector Geruld Huerva, as well as Fr. Joel Roquez.

In Silay City, 295 drug pushers and users, including a 12-year-old, also surrendered to the police. Mayor Mark Golez administered the oathtaking of surrenderees. Last week, two main suppliers of shabu in Silay City, also surrendered to the Silay police, and endorsed a fragmentation grenade and two pistols.

Golez warned the surrenderees from returning to illegal drug use, stressing that they will be closely monitored. He also enjoined them to help the police in identifying all the financiers of the illegal drug trade.

Tubillara, meanwhile, said they will continue monitoring the activities of surrendered drug peddlers and users, to see if they are true to their oath of ending their illegal activities.

Inspector Junjie Liba, San Enrique deputy police chief, yesterday said that some of the drug personalities listed in their drug watch lists did not show up during the surrender rites.

Tubillara said he also instructed the Municipal Health Officer to purchase drug kits, for use in the random drug testing of high school students in the town. Through this, they (students) may listen to us and stop using prohibited drugs, he added.

The police in Negros Occidental expect a reduction in the crime volume, with the surrender of more than 5,000 drug pushers and users in Negros Occidental, within weeks.

But Senoron said the exact percentage of crime volume reduction is expected to be known next month, by comparing data with that of the month of June.

Eighty-five percent of crimes, such as robbery, murder, homicide and rape, has been attributed by the police to the proliferation of drugs.*GPB

 

 

 

 

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
Button Guv asks Duterte to tap PhilHealth in drug rehab
Button Cash reward offered for arrest of pushers
Button Guanzon: Register to vote, every voice must be heard
Button CSC orders Baciwa manager's reinstatement