The Provincial Government and the Department of Education Negros Occidental Division are pooling their efforts to come up with a grand presentation to strengthen the province's bid to host the 2017 Palarong Pambansa.
Romeo Sision, Education Program Supervisor in Negros Occidental Schools, said the committee met last week to discuss the presentation.
“We are preparing our documents, highlighting the readiness of our playing venues and that of the billeting schools,” Sison said.
Aside from Negros Occidental, he said they heard reports that Cebu and Iloilo also intends to bid for the Palarong Pambansa hosting.
Sison said that as early as January this year, Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. has submitted a Letter of Intent to the Palarong Pambansa Executive Committee to signify the province's interest to host the school-based national games among elementary and secondary athletes.
The committee is expected to evaluate the presentation of the bidders in August or September, Sison said.
Meanwhile, the Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental provincial governments and DepEd officials have yet to come to an agreement on the format of the NIRAA regional meet next year.
With the Oriental having six divisions in the NIRAA competition this year, there is a proposal for the Occidental side to do away with the provincial meet and instead, send the top athletes from its 10 competing Areas straight to the regional meet.
“Instead of having seven competing teams in the NIRAA, there is a suggestion to make it into 16 teams,” Sison said.
“However, nothing has been finalized and we are scheduled to meet on July 21 to further discuss the issue,” he added.*NAB
back to top