Sugar Regulatory Administrator Ma. Regina Martin has been asked to continue as SRA chief until July 31 in a hold-over capacity.
Martin yesterday received a copy of Memorandum Circular No. 1 that asks that, in the exigency of the service, and to ensure continuous and effective delivery of national government services to the people, she continue serving as SRA chief in a hold-over capacity until July 31 unless her appointment is sooner revoked.
The memorandum circular was signed by President Rodrigo Duterte's executive secretary Salvador Medialdea.
Martin had been appointed SRA chief by President Benigno Aquino whose term as head of state ended Thursday.
All co-terminus positions were set to end June 30 unless those holding such posts are asked to stay in a hold over capacity, Medialdea said.
Martin said she is not aware of whom Duterte will appoint as SRA chief in her place.
Meanwhile, the latest sugar production of the country is now 2.23 million metric tons, higher that their crop estimate in February of 2.147 million mt . Martin said.
It is still down by 40,000 mt from their initial crop estimate in September of 2.27 million metric tons, she added.
She said El Niño damage to sugarcane was mitigated when the rains arrived.
She also said they now also need to prepare for damage from the rains expected to be brought on by La Niña, citing the need for drainages for a more efficient and timely harvesting of canes.*CPG
back to top