ALA Promotions is not keen on having a third battle between Donnie Nietes and Moises Fuentes when the Filipino boxing champion defends his World Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight crown for the 10th time on May 21 at the Cebu City Sports Center.
Nietes, who is 37-1-4 with 21 KOs and Fuentes, 23-2-1 with 12KOs, fought each other twice before and a third battle may turn off fans, ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer said.
"We are hoping WBO will allow us to fight Fuentes later and get a different opponent as there is no point in fighting Fuentes again in the Philippines as Donnie has already knocked him out," Aldeguer said.
Nietes stopped Fuentes in the ninth round on May 10, 2014 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena.
It was Nietes' third defense of his WBO light flyweight (108 pounds) crown he won against Felipe Salguero on June 2, 2012.
Before that, Nietes was the WBO minimumweight (105 pounds) champion for four years.
In their first bout, Nietes barely survived with a majority decision win in his first title defense, which called for a rematch and a third fight after that knockout victory is no longer palatable to fans.
"The fans won't be excited if I would fight Fuentes again," said Nietes, who last year became the longest reigning Filipino world champion.
For his May 21 fight at the Cebu City Sports Center--only the second time that a boxing match will be held there--ALA Promotions is eyeing a former world champion as his challenger.
However, they are also looking beyond May 21 for a super fight between Nietes and Juan Francisco Estrada, the WBO and World boxing association (WBA) flyweight (112) champion who knocked out Hernan Marquez in his last defense last Sept. 26.
The 25-year-old Estrada is 33-2 with 24 KOs and once defeated Nietes stablemate Milan Melindo by unanimous decision in his defense of his twin WBA and WBO titles last July 27, 2013.
"We are working on a May 21 event for Donnie in Cebu with Zanfer and hope to have another deal with them with Estrada for a September fight in the US," said Aldeguer, whose promotions had its initial US event last year in California.
Aside from Estrada, Nietes also hopes to fight the undefeated and fearsome Roman Gonzalez, a regular entry in most pound-for-pound list.
Gonzalez is undefeated in 44 fights and has an impressive 86 percent knockout rate having stopped his 38 foes, including Filipino challengers Brian Viloria and another ALA fighter Rocky Fuentes.
In fact, he has knocked out 18 of his last 20 foes and the only ones who lasted the 12 rounds were Estrada last Nov. 17, 2012 and Manuel Vargas (March 19, 2011).
Vargas also lost to Nietes by split decision when the two met last Sept. 12, 2009.
"I dont know who my next opponent would be but it would be better if it would either be Gonzalez or Estrada. But it depends on ALA, whoever they put in front of me, I'll fight him," said Nietes.*PNA
back to top