Daily Star logoTop Stories



Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, December 27, 2016
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 


NDF Negros backs peace effort
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

The National Democratic Front-Negros expressed its support to the ongoing peace talks between the government and NDF-Philippines.

NDF-Negros spokesperson Frank Fernandez, who led a peace forum on Thursday somewhere in southern Negros, said the election of Rodrigo Duterte as Philippine president paved the way to a prospect of peaceful settlement of the armed conflict.

Fernandez said Duterte has shown his sincerity by establishing confidence building measures and positive moves, that were reciprocated by the Communist Party of the Philippines, as recommended by the NDFP, by declaring a unilateral ceasefire on August 28 till now.

Through this peace process, he said, it is not impossible for the people to achieve economic and political reforms, noting that the center of talks in Oslo, Norway focuses on how to formulate the Comprehensive Agreements on Socio-Economic Reform (CASER), which he described as the “heart and soul” of the peace talks.

The CPP, political wing of the New People's Army, yesterday marked its 48th founding anniversary.

Col. Francisco Delfin, 303 rd  Infantry Brigade commander, who supervises the internal peace security operations in Negros island, said he is hopeful that the elusive peace will soon reign in Negros, with the ongoing peace talks between the government and the National Democratic Front.
Delfin also described as “good” the fact that Fernandez finally appeared, as he also encouraged NPA members to have faith in the peace talks.

But he dismissed the NPA claims that they are gaining strength in Negros as “purely propaganda.”

DELFIN'S ASSURANCE

Delfin assured that the Philippine Army in Negros will continue to strictly adhere the ongoing unilateral ceasefire.*

Fernandez claimed that there are some forces within the Duterte administration who are trying to deceive the NDFP and the revolutionary forces, for them to surrender.

Despite the unilateral ceasefire ordered by President Duterte, he said that the Armed Forces of the Philippines continues the implementation of OplanBayanihan, by conducting military offensives against the NPA.

In a statement it issued, however, the CPP raised the possibility that the Party will recall the declaration of unilateral ceasefire if the planned Enhanced OplanBayanihan will be implemented by the AFP, and if the government will not the release the detained political prisoners.

While the NDFP and the party are ready to sign the bilateral ceasefire, it will only take effect if the political prisoners will be released, and for the military to stop their operations in the countrysides.

CPP CALLS TO YOUTH

The CPP is also calling the youth, farmers, laborers and students in urban centers to join the NPA.

Fernandez, who was rumored to be sick and bedridden, surfaced Thursday last week, to prove that he is alive and healthy, and presented to the local media in a clandestine press conference  the armed strength of the NPA, disproving military claims that they already a spent force.

A platoon-sized unit of the armed NPA, being secured by another platoon of rebel fighters, held a parade and review, witnessed by about 3,000 supporters.

Fernandez, who has a bounty of P5 million for his arrest, has been very elusive to authorities, who have been hunting him down for several decades now.*GPB

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
Button Robber steals P1M, killsbizman, guard
Button Solve killing, mayor orders police
Button Five slain, 18 injured
Button Ombudsman junks raps vs. vice mayor, 2 others
Button Nina leaves hundreds stranded in Neg. Occ.
Button NDF Negros backs peace effort
Button Raps filed versus 18 for Baciwa expansion