Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Friday, March 21, 2014
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events
Bayan sec-gen out on bail
BY SHIELA GELERA

The secretary general of the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN)-Negros was released yesterday afternoon after posting bail of P1,000 for maltreatment charges, at the Hall of Justice in Bacolod City.

Christian Tuayon, 27, of Brgy. Purisima in Manapla town, Negros Occidental was arrested Wednesday, minutes after he attended a hearing on the case being faced by his fellow militants, on the strength of a bench warrant issued by Branch 1 presiding judge Jose Paolo Ariola of the Municipal Trial Court in Cities.

The warrant was for Tuayon’s failure to attend a hearing on the maltreatment charges filed against him by Police Officer 1 Albert Villahermoso, a member of the 6th Regional Public Safety Battalion, reports said.

Station 2 policemen brought Tuayon and the other two inmates with separate cases to the Hall of Justice at about 2:30 p.m. to get their commitment orders for their transfer to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, Senior Insp. Jovil Sedel, station’s chief told the DAILY STAR.

When Tuayon and the police were on their way to MTCC Branch 1, Cesar Beloria Sr. was already there and they proceeded to the clerk of the court to pay the bail bond for his temporary liberty, Sedel said.

Beloria had filed a motion to quash the warrant of arrest and a motion to reconsideration before the MTCC Branch 1, reports said.

Tuayon allegedly tapped the hat of Villahermoso, and hit his nose. This happened in Talisay City, Negros Occidental, during the visit of President Benigno Aquino on May 5, 2012.

Tuayon told the DAILY STAR yesterday that the police and the media present in Talisay then knew how the tension had risen and how the policemen “inhumanely” dispersed and injure people during the rally.

He said he failed to attend only one hearing, since the subpoena from the court had not been delivered to him.

Tuayon, who had been detained at the lock-up cell of Station 2 for almost 24 hours, said he condemn the slow process of his case.

He said his arrest is due to their advocacy for change and respect for human rights.

He said that no matter how many of them will be nabbed, their battle will not stop, they will still continue to seek for justice whether they are in or out of the lock-up cells.*SGG

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonCop nabbed in drug den
ButtonBacoleño gets life term
ButtonBayan sec-gen out on bail
ButtonBIR to file raps vs. 3 officials
ButtonPay taxes early, commissioner urges
ButtonDumpsite probe team highly illegal - Lopez
Button19 mills’ co-gen projects can generate 281.5 MW
ButtonTwo hydro plants to ease shortage
ButtonGuanzon candidate for SC post
ButtonVG joins call for probe on NNNP encroachment
ButtonPanaad sa Negros fest set March 31 to April 6
ButtonTeachers join TechTalk seminar

ButtonSP hears CCTV proposal
ButtonDads okay CERT+