SIPALAY CITY – About P700,000 worth of appliances and other items were damaged at the Amar Emporium here when a fire broke out at around 8 p.m. Saturday inside the store.
Fire Marshall SFO1 Isidro Nobleza said a loose connection in the electrical wiring attached to the foam-covered ceiling of the store caused the spark that started the fire.
With the pooled effort of the two fire brigades of the Department of Interior and Local Government stationed here and three local fire trucks, the blaze was put out after two hours. No casualty was reported.
Nobleza said 80 percent of the merchandize in the store was destroyed, while about three percent of the building was damaged.
He added that the firemen would have put out the fire immediately if they had been able to open the water hydrant located near the building.
The fire marshall said he will request Mayor Oscar Montilla Jr. to authorize the fire station to be given a duplicate of the key to the fire hydrant that is kept by an employee of the local water utility.
Nobleza also said they had difficulty putting out the fire behind the building because of the narrow alley between it and the next building.*NAB